This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3146 / 56°18'52"N
Longitude: -3.1296 / 3°7'46"W
OS Eastings: 330222
OS Northings: 714154
OS Grid: NO302141
Mapcode National: GBR 2B.64W0
Mapcode Global: WH6QW.WJXZ
Entry Name: Monimail Parish Church
Listing Date: 1 March 1984
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 349131
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15497
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Howe of Fife and Tay Coast
Traditional County: Fife
Thomas Faulkner of Cupar, mason, 1796; tower by James Gillespie Graham, 1811. T-plan church. Whin rubble, with contrasting yellow ashlar dressings. 4-stage Gothic tower at east gable has blocked round-headed opening to each stage of south elevation; partially blocked rectangular openings to east elevation; round-headed, louvred opening to each face
of top stage; stepped angle buttresses with pinnacles, linked by corbelled battlemented parapet. T-plan body of church with symmetrical south elevation, central window Venetian with blind centre light,
2 outer with round heads and ogee tracery; doors in outer bays, (one blocked) square-headed window to north, with 1 round-headed window at
gallery level on gable end of T. Low gabled session house projects at east.
INTERIOR: hexagonal pulpit with pilastered and panelled back-board on south wall. Semi-octagonal gallery, with panelled front, supported on Tuscan column; some box pews. Decorative ceiling roses. Leaded galss windows by William Wilson. Marble monuments by John Steel, Edinburgh flank pulpit; monument to left, to David, 8th Earl of Level, 7th Earl of
Melville and family, is dated 1865; monument to right, to Major Alexander Viscount Balgonie, is dated 1859. Panelled doors, with original latches. Tower encloses circular stone stair; 4 bells, one dated 1753.
Register House Plan 22507 shows seating plan by David Martin, Architect, 1798; RHP 22508 shows proposed seating plan by P MacGregor Chalmers 1912. (A letter from Chalmers detailing his proposals is mixed in with the Free Church Session Minutes (see SRO CH3/679/15). RHP 22509 shows plans by G P K Young, architect, for proposed seating alterations, 1929
Gillespie and Scott drawings index in SNMR includes proposed seating plan, 1912. In ecclesiastical use.
Other nearby listed buildings