History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mains Of Mayen

A Category A Listed Building in Keith and Cullen, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.5181 / 57°31'5"N

Longitude: -2.7117 / 2°42'42"W

OS Eastings: 357465

OS Northings: 847769

OS Grid: NJ574477

Mapcode National: GBR M8NV.JH0

Mapcode Global: WH7LF.99YD

Plus Code: 9C9VG79Q+68

Entry Name: Mains Of Mayen

Listing Name: Mains of Mayen

Listing Date: 22 February 1972

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 349267

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15610

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Rothiemay

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Keith and Cullen

Parish: Rothiemay

Traditional County: Banffshire

Find accommodation in
Marnoch

Description

Dated 1680. 2-storey, L-plan house with circular stair
turret in re-entrant angle; 3 builds circa 1600, 1680 and
mid-later 19th century. Harled, whinstone and granite
ashlar dressings, substantial boulder footings to earliest
portion of house at N. N-S rectangular block with main E
elevation comprises circa 1600 build at N and 1680 at S,
with simple doorway in E front under dated and inscribed
plaque. Mid-later 19th century 2-storey, 3-bay block at
right angles with projecting gabled porch in N face and
enlarged ground floor windows. Circular stair tower with
2 windows and diminutive gabletted wallhead dormers;
bellcast slated roof. Varied fenestration with small
gabletted dormers breaking wallhead in older portion, 1
dormer at E having gablet dated 1680. Substantial early
ridge stack in early block (probably circa 1600) with end
stacks, small ridge stack in mid-later 19th century wing;
slate roofs; crowstepped gables.
INTERIOR: simple interior; plank door with long blacksmith's
hinges in E elevation giving into room with hearth in cross
wall with roughly tooled granite facings and 2 mural
aumbries. Ground floor room at N with indication of former
internal mural stair; wheel stair in drum tower.

Statement of Interest

Lands of Mayen were originally part of the Barony of

Rothiemay and were bestowed on David Abernethy by David

II in 14th century; in 1445 an Abernethy became the first

Earl of Saltoun. Arms above doorway for Alexander Abernethy

and Jean Hacket or Halkett his wife, 'Alus per Christum

AA IH 1680'. The property was purchased by Major Alexander

Duff in 1785-8, who built Mayen House and demoted the old

house as the Mains of Mayen. West wing of mid-later 19th

century date appears on 1st ed OS of circa 1870. Change

of Category B to A, 25.4.89.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.