History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kininvie House

A Category A Listed Building in Speyside Glenlivet, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.4815 / 57°28'53"N

Longitude: -3.1377 / 3°8'15"W

OS Eastings: 331882

OS Northings: 844048

OS Grid: NJ318440

Mapcode National: GBR L8MY.FDR

Mapcode Global: WH6K8.S62X

Entry Name: Kininvie House

Listing Date: 22 February 1972

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 349556

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15862

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Mortlach

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet

Traditional County: Banffshire

Find accommodation in
Craigellachie

Description

Said to be 1523 tower house, additions 1610. Further
extensive additions and alterations by William Robertson,
1840. Some further alterations and additions 1929-30. Mainly
2 storeys over raised basement (site slopes to W); irregular
S facing U-plan house with mainly 1840 E entrance front.
Harled rubble, polished ashlar dressings, contrasting tooled
ashlar margins.
Gabled E elevation with near centre round-headed recessed
entrance porch in advanced gabled bay approached by flight
of steps oversailing raised basement; 2 long windows at left
lighting 1840 library.
Irregular S garden front incorporates 3 builds; at W 1523
single bay tower house of 4 storeys and attic, with abutting
drumtower stair turret corbelled out as small square
caphouse at upper stage. Entrance in re-entrant angle with
small flanking gun loops and arrow slits. Centre 1610, 3-
storey, 2-bay block (remodelled 1840); outer 1840 advanced
and gabled wing with large windows. Centre 1st floor windows
barely break wallhead under gablets with centre armorial;
re-set armorial panels in S and W elevations.
Mainly 1840 multi-pane glazing with thick moulded wooden
mullions (and transom to 1 window). 1840 angle bartizans;
original rolled moulded copes to 16th and early 17th century
stacks, copied 1840 margined end and ridge stacks. Slate
roofs.
1929-30 addition bay to N and remodelling of rear service
area.
INTERIOR: vaulted entrance lobby to 16th century tower house;
single room in each floor served by wheel stair, some deep
moulded cornices; pegged and numbered roof timbers in attic.
1840 HOUSE: entrance hall with public rooms left and right
(sitting room and dining room). Dining room with re-used
panelling (installed 1929); reeded detailing to wooden
chimneypiece; bracketted ceiling cornice.
DRAWING ROOM: (former late 16th century 1st floor hall)
carved wooden Adamesque overmantel to 1930's brick
chimneypiece; fine late 18th century fielded panelled door
and doorpiece with overdoor and acanthus detailing; plain
6-fielded panels to passage face.
Ornate turned balusters, in sets of 3 with differing
patterns to staircase installed during 1929 alterations.
LIBRARY: simple moulded ceiling cornice; plain grey marble
chimneypiece.

Statement of Interest

Home of Leslie's of Kininvie and Tullich from 1523-1943.

Lands of Kininvie granted in 1521 by John, third Earl of

Athole, to Alexander Leslie who died circa 1549 and whose

effigy is in Mortlach Parish Church.

Datestones of 1610 and 1726, the former resited after

blocking of 1610 entrance in 1840.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.