This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8842 / 54°53'3"N
Longitude: -4.886 / 4°53'9"W
OS Eastings: 214975
OS Northings: 558195
OS Grid: NX149581
Mapcode National: GBR GH9S.YGT
Mapcode Global: WH2SG.XHJK
Entry Name: Dunragit House
Listing Date: 20 July 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 350599
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB16786
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Old Luce
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Parish: Old Luce
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
Late 18th century, incorporating earlier, possibly late 17th century, fabric; later additions. 3-storey, 4-bay (2-2) mansion house, now sub-divided into flats; 2-storey, U-plan courtyard to rear. Washed rubble. Raised margins; architraved margins at ground and 1st floors to S elevation. Angle margins. Eaves cornice.
S ELEVATION: broad pedimented bay advanced at centre, containing centre 2 bays, with flat-roofed porch advanced at ground. Porch: pebble-dashed, with red sandstone ashlar dressings; door to corniced rectangular projection at centre; large bowed windows to left and right; Tuscan columns at angles to left and right; spearhead railing forming balcony. Regularly disposed fenestration at ground, 1st and 2nd floors; tall windows at 1st floor, except in bay to outer right. Window at ground floor to E return of pedimented bay. Oculus, with moulded surround in gablehead; gablehead stack.
E ELEVATION: 3-bay (1-2) at ground and 1st floors; windows at centre and to right, those at centre with possibly late 17th century margins; blind windows to left. Window at centre at 2nd floor, with fire escape. Fire escape door slapped to right in gablehead. 2 storey wing adjoined to right. Flat-roofed single storey addition (ballroom/billiard room), possibly 1915-16, advanced from it; Venetian window to S; bowed bay, with 3 windows, to left, narrow window flanking to right, and 2 windows to right, to E; door slapped to N.
W ELEVATION: windows to left at ground and 1st floor; tall window to right at 1st floor. 2-storey, 3-bay wing adjoined to left, with regular fenestration. Further 2-storey, 4-bay wing advanced to left; window to right at 1st floor to S; regular fenestration to w, with cat-slide dormerheads to windows at 1st floor.
N ELEVATION: piended stair block adjoined at centre, with later additions. 2-storey wings adjoined to left and right, with numerous openings. Former painted rubble coach house to N, now converted to a dwelling; adjoined to wing to W by link wall with segmental archway into courtyard; sweeping eaves.
Mainly small-pane glazing in sash and case windows; some replacement glazing. Piended dormer window above outer bays to S pitch. Coped skews. Corniced rendered gablehead stacks to E, W and N; ridge and wallhead stacks, with concave banding, to rear wings. Large grey slates. Octagonal cans.
INTERIOR: keystoned round arch in porch. Apparently contains panelling from hall in Castle of Park (see separate listing) (not seen, 1991).
Dunragit House was built by the Hay family. Dunragit House became the residence of the Hays in circa 1830, when they left Castle of Park. The panelling from the hall in Castle of Park was removed to Dunragit House. Sir John Dalrymple-Hay sold Dunragit estate in 1875.
Additions and alterations were apparently made by Allan Stevenson and Cassells, 1935/36 (plans at Darley Hay Partnership, Ayr).