History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Urr Parish Church (Church of Scotland) Churchyard with Retaining Walls and Gates

A Category B Listed Building in Castle Douglas and Crocketford, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9728 / 54°58'22"N

Longitude: -3.8501 / 3°51'0"W

OS Eastings: 281675

OS Northings: 565807

OS Grid: NX816658

Mapcode National: GBR 1BKY.86

Mapcode Global: WH4VV.T8TM

Entry Name: Urr Parish Church (Church of Scotland) Churchyard with Retaining Walls and Gates

Listing Date: 4 November 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 350637

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB16819

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Urr

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Castle Douglas and Crocketford

Parish: Urr

Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire

Find accommodation in
Springholm

Description

P MacGregor Chalmers, architect, 1914. Bull-faced red
sandstone church with polished chamfered margins. 4-bay nave
and aisle to N with 2-light pointed-arch windows small-paned
leaded glazing or stained glass.
Tower to W with porch at base; hoodmoulded pointed-arch
doorway with recessed double-leaf doors.
Tower with 1 tall stage and belfry stage above with string
course dividing stages. Belfry stage with cusped lancet
openings and pointed-arch hood; crenellated parapet with
small bartizans corbelled at angles and rainwater spouts.
Stumpy facetted spire. Slate roofs.
INTERIOR: entry from porch at base of tower to nave; 4-bay
aisle to left separated from nave by round arched arcade
supported on piers of various section. Chancel arch supported
on pilasters. Steps to marble dais at chancel; carved oak
communion table and lectern. Chancel window by Douglas
Strachan, aisle window by David Ballantine (resited from
previous church), nave windows David Gulland.
Dry stone walls to churchyard; main gates cast-iron with
gatepiers supporting good Art Nouveau lamp brackets.
Churchyard with many 18th and 19th century tombstones.
Herries memorial: square painted rubble enclosure, corniced
and with raised polished margins and quoins; memorial plaques
to Herries family.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Built on the site of

1815 church.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.