This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.7875 / 54°47'15"N
Longitude: -4.3641 / 4°21'50"W
OS Eastings: 248083
OS Northings: 546188
OS Grid: NX480461
Mapcode National: GBR HJL1.XBD
Mapcode Global: WH3V7.YX1P
Plus Code: 9C6QQJQP+29
Entry Name: Granary, Garlieston Harbour
Listing Name: Garlieston, Harbour and Warehouses
Listing Date: 17 December 1979
Last Amended: 30 January 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 350689
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB16868
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
Harbour built 1815 from earlier natural harbour, enlarged and improved, 1838, 1842, 1843 and 1854.
Pier and Quays: rubble built with limited concrete patching and copes, recent tarmac quay surfaces, and timber rubbing posts, now mainly of circular cross section. Basically on a Z-plan, with short breakwater (Dumbie Breakwater) and 3 sections of quay. Rubble boundary wall. Breakwater pier has stair inset on re-entrant angle.
Transit shed on SE quay: late 19th century. Single storey with piended roof and open front and sides. Rear wall rubble, incorporating part of boundary wall. Quayside supported on 5 (originally 7) cast-iron columns with moulded capitals and square tops. End columns with moulded capitals and square tops. End column to right replaced by steel joist. Short side walls in brick. Later brick store inserted to rear corner to left. Roof sides felted, front slated, with large graduated slates. Stone ridges, some gone.
Warehouse on centre quay: probably circa 1838. Symmetrical 2-storey, 5-bay rubble with piended roof, prominent ashlar dressings. 2 hoist doors, alternating with windows, projecting above aves level, with open-eaved dormer droofs. Ground floor doors below hoist doors, that on left enlarged and fitted with sliding door. Windows to upper floor square, on lower floor rectangular, all bricked-up except 2 1st floor windows. Roof slated. To left, single storey piended roof extension, with 1 door and 1 window, incorporating section of boundary wall in front wall.
Warehouse to S of SW quay, former Wylie's Mill Office: probably circa 1855. 2-storey, 5-bay rubble, with dressed margins. Gabled roof with 2 hoist doors projecting into gablets with open eaves. Hoist door to left part bricked-up as window, flanked by single windows. Lower level fenestratin to W, now altered with doorway to right of hoist door, 2 windows to left, 2 to right, latter bipartite with timber mullions and tansoms. Hoist door to right with windows to right, door below enlarged, with sliding doors and window to right. Roof gabled, with graduated slates and stone ridges.
BREAKWATER: 1843, battered walls of rubble construction, part ruinous to coastal end, sited at S end of harbour.
The 1838 pier and breakwater were financed by public subscription and cost ?2,600. The grain mill and its associated silos on the SW quay are not included in current lists. Single storey section in poor condition after damage. The Dumbie Breakwater was built at a cost of ?300: it was, until storm damage in 1960s, neighboured by a cottage to the west named Breakwater Lodge. Ship building was established as a local industry at Garlieston around the natural harbour by 1810.
Other nearby listed buildings