This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6035 / 57°36'12"N
Longitude: -7.1605 / 7°9'37"W
OS Eastings: 91872
OS Northings: 868788
OS Grid: NF918687
Mapcode National: GBR 88QM.F1Y
Mapcode Global: WGW3D.Z4FX
Plus Code: 9C9JJR3Q+CR
Entry Name: Lochmaddy, Lee View Formerly Maclean's Mansion
Listing Name: Lochmaddy, Lee View Formerly Maclean's Mansion
Listing Date: 24 April 1985
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 351535
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB17572
Building Class: Cultural
Location: North Uist
County: Na h-Eileanan Siar
Electoral Ward: Beinn na Foghla agus Uibhist a Tuath
Parish: North Uist
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Circa 1800, dated and probably altered 1852, fire damaged and roof removed 2008. Imposing example of significant 2-storey, 5-bay former merchant's house set on waterside with associated pier and ancillary building. Harled with tusking to W gable, openings blocked or boarded; corniced gablehead stacks.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: entrance elevation to S with small roofless square stone porch to left of centre with datestone above and further door to right of centre, 3 centre windows at 1st floor blocked. Asymmetrical openings to N with stair window to right of centre.
INTERIOR: (seen 2009) ground floor significantly fire damaged, some red brick partitioning now exposed. Simple timber stair and banisters. Some 4-panel timber doors. Evidence of 12-pane glazing pattern behind boarding. 1st floor room with plain cornice and simple timber fire surround with cast iron inset.
REFERENCES: 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey Maps (1876 and 1901). Mary Miers RIAS The Western Seaboard (2008), p323.
Prominently sited on the west shore of Lochmaddy (Loch nam Madadh), Lee View was a merchant's house of some significance when constructed. The building is dated 1852 over the porch, however, it is likely that this was a reworking of an earlier house as Mary Miers suggests in The Western Seaboard. Its early date, relatively large scale and rarity as a building type in the Western Isles contribute to its interest. It is contextually important to a small group comprising the house, pier and an ancillary building, and it is an important visual and historical contributor to this harbourside group.
Lee View was built as a townhouse for John Maclean of Boreray and it later became a general store and multiple dwelling which may have been sub-divided. The upper floor was used as a Masonic Lodge from 1950, but this closed some years ago and the building has been out of use for some time. The roof was removed following a fire in 2008.
Category changed from B to C(S) and list description revised 2009