History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hynish Harbour, Tiree

A Category A Listed Building in Oban South and the Isles, Argyll and Bute

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.4493 / 56°26'57"N

Longitude: -6.8923 / 6°53'32"W

OS Eastings: 98659

OS Northings: 739304

OS Grid: NL986393

Mapcode National: GBR 9CCN.XGZ

Mapcode Global: WGXB9.3577

Plus Code: 9C8MC4X5+P3

Entry Name: Hynish Harbour, Tiree

Listing Name: Hynish, Harbour and Lighthouse Establishment, Including Signal Tower, Housing, Sheds/Stores, Dam and Walled Enclosures

Listing Date: 20 July 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 351817

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB17848

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Tiree

County: Argyll and Bute

Electoral Ward: Oban South and the Isles

Parish: Tiree

Find accommodation in
Middleton

Description

Alan Stevenson, built mainly 1837-40, for the construction and servicing/maintenance of Skerryvore Lighthouse.

Buildings constructed mainly of large masonry blocks, roofrs either flat or slated. Principal elements - as named in Stevenson's own published plan of 1848 (reproduced in Inventory) - are;

HARBOUR: all built of rock-faced ashlar; DOCK: with guiding rails of original locking gate (latter now gone), also hand operated derrick.

PIER: extends from west side.

SEAMEN'S BARRACKS: (originally worker's housing, now privately owned); a 2-storey row, stepped to slope, deep on plan; gabled and slated, lower courtyard buildings to rear.

KEEPER'S HOUSES (Upper Square): distinctive and solid looking, like other lighthouse keeper's housing by Stevenson, and with Egyptianised detail; single storey, flat roofed, ashlar faced, massive doorways, rank of stacks at wallhead, small walled gardens.

SIGNAL TOWER (now a museum): (20th century) plaque gives date 1843, inscription "...in use from 1844 to 1937 for signalling by semaphore to Skerryvore Lighthouse...". Circular tower, deep corbelled cornice/ platform near top; ashlar; also windowed at top.

STORES: long single storey row, stepped to slope.

RESERVOIR: used for flushing silt from dock basin, and still (1989) operational, with underground conduit; dam is irregular on plan, with stone faced walls.

STORE: close to harbour; long single storey block, rectangular in plan with cross walls. Series of flat-lintelled openings facing south. Built of pinned squared rubble.

COAL STORE: is now (1989) neglected; also series of GARDEN WALLS AND ENCOSURES AND SMALL PERIPHERAL BUILDINGS.

Statement of Interest

A group of buildings unique in Scotland and surviving in near unaltered condition. Up-graded Category B to A 15 August, 1989.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.