This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4479 / 56°26'52"N
Longitude: -6.8947 / 6°53'40"W
OS Eastings: 98502
OS Northings: 739161
OS Grid: NL985391
Mapcode National: GBR 9CCP.2R6
Mapcode Global: WGXB9.2639
Plus Code: 9C8MC4X4+54
Entry Name: 3 Upper Square, Lighthouse Shore Establishment, Hynish, Tiree
Listing Name: Hynish, Harbour and Lighthouse Establishment, Including Signal Tower, Housing, Sheds/Stores, Dam and Walled Enclosures
Listing Date: 20 July 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 351821
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB17848
Building Class: Cultural
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Oban South and the Isles
Traditional County: Argyllshire
Alan Stevenson, built mainly 1837-40, for the construction and servicing/maintenance of Skerryvore Lighthouse.
Buildings constructed mainly of large masonry blocks, roofrs either flat or slated. Principal elements - as named in Stevenson's own published plan of 1848 (reproduced in Inventory) - are;
HARBOUR: all built of rock-faced ashlar; DOCK: with guiding rails of original locking gate (latter now gone), also hand operated derrick.
PIER: extends from west side.
SEAMEN'S BARRACKS: (originally worker's housing, now privately owned); a 2-storey row, stepped to slope, deep on plan; gabled and slated, lower courtyard buildings to rear.
KEEPER'S HOUSES (Upper Square): distinctive and solid looking, like other lighthouse keeper's housing by Stevenson, and with Egyptianised detail; single storey, flat roofed, ashlar faced, massive doorways, rank of stacks at wallhead, small walled gardens.
SIGNAL TOWER (now a museum): (20th century) plaque gives date 1843, inscription "...in use from 1844 to 1937 for signalling by semaphore to Skerryvore Lighthouse...". Circular tower, deep corbelled cornice/ platform near top; ashlar; also windowed at top.
STORES: long single storey row, stepped to slope.
RESERVOIR: used for flushing silt from dock basin, and still (1989) operational, with underground conduit; dam is irregular on plan, with stone faced walls.
STORE: close to harbour; long single storey block, rectangular in plan with cross walls. Series of flat-lintelled openings facing south. Built of pinned squared rubble.
COAL STORE: is now (1989) neglected; also series of GARDEN WALLS AND ENCOSURES AND SMALL PERIPHERAL BUILDINGS.
A group of buildings unique in Scotland and surviving in near unaltered condition. Up-graded Category B to A 15 August, 1989.
Other nearby listed buildings