History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Trinity College, Glenalmond

A Category A Listed Building in Methven, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.4419 / 56°26'30"N

Longitude: -3.66 / 3°39'36"W

OS Eastings: 297753

OS Northings: 728984

OS Grid: NN977289

Mapcode National: GBR V1.55M3

Mapcode Global: WH5NX.RBBW

Plus Code: 9C8RC8RQ+QX

Entry Name: Trinity College, Glenalmond

Listing Name: Trinity College, Glenalmond Main Building

Listing Date: 5 October 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 351859

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB17869

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Methven

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Almond and Earn

Parish: Methven

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Buchanty

Description

Large collegiate gothic structure built round 3 quadrangles
of which the N. and S. open into one another with central
library building between the cloister links not having been
built N.E. Quadrangle unfinished, N. side only completed.
Snecked red sandstone, mainly 2-storey and attic.
Symmetrical entrance front with 4-storey gate tower.
Architects; originally, John Henderson, begun 1843 f.s.
8th September 1846. Near-by symmetrical W. wing with
gatehouse and (original) Warden's House 1847, N. wing 1847-8,
chapel 1851 with glass by Powell (spire planned but not
built) completed 1851. Hall 1861-3, Henderson largely
redesigned Sir G.G. Scott. Gymnasium A.G. Heiton 1889.
Block between chapel and hall, new wing and laboratory 1892-3
George Henderson; Library A.G. Heiton 1904-06. Matheson
building and New Cloister 1926 and 1932, new warden's house
1927. J. Donald Mills and G.D. B. Shepherd. North wing
reconstructed 1932-3, west wing 1935-6. Chapel furnishings;
War Memorial 1922, Neish Memorial 1939 both by Sir J.
Ninian Comper; W. Screen in chapel Sir Basil Spence.

Statement of Interest

Now has gym and swimming pool and not part of the main block. The Chapel is in the charge of the Scottish Episcopal Church.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.