History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kinnesswood, Main Street, Roselea

A Category B Listed Building in Kinross-shire, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.2123 / 56°12'44"N

Longitude: -3.3309 / 3°19'51"W

OS Eastings: 317550

OS Northings: 702990

OS Grid: NO175029

Mapcode National: GBR 23.DMMR

Mapcode Global: WH6RC.T31W

Plus Code: 9C8R6M69+WM

Entry Name: Kinnesswood, Main Street, Roselea

Listing Name: Roselea, Main Street, Kinnesswood

Listing Date: 9 June 1981

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 351963

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB17967

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Portmoak

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Kinross-shire

Parish: Portmoak

Traditional County: Kinross-shire

Find accommodation in
Kinross

Description

Early 18th century; Arts and Crafts-style addition at rear by James Scott of St Andrews, circa 1905. 2-storey house. Harled, slate roof. Windows at N have chamfered margins, 12-pane sash and case at ground floor, 8-lying-pane at 1st; corniced stacks. N ELEVATION: asymmetrical; door at left with cornice and partially moulded doorcase; 2 windows at right, 2 windows at 1st floor; plain eaves course. E GABLE: window at 1st floor right, gablehead stack. S ELEVATION: glazed door to original house at left, forestair with cast-iron balusters to door at adjoining Roselea West, windows at 1st floor; projecting circa 1905 wing at right, slightly advanced gable at centre widening at 1st floor, 10-pane window hinged as door with flanking 10-pane sash and case windows, tripartite window at 1st floor with half-timbered gable and bargeboards; exposed rafters, piended-roof. INTERIOR: Original 19th and early 20th century chimneypieces, one at 1st floor possibly 18th century with projecting cheeks; some doors with fielded panels. Dining room (circa 1905) has dado and half timbered ceilings with 4 embossed leather panels each depicting the Imperial Crown and either a dragon, harp, rose or thistle; elsewhere the ceiling has suede-like covering with stylised paintings of thistles and roses; original sanctuary-type lamp.

Statement of Interest

Roselea East and West was acquired by James Scott of James

Gillespie and Scott, architects, St Andrews in circa 1905;

the addition is presumed to have been designed and added

by Scott in 1905. The inscription 'JS.1890. JSM.1940' and

'JS.1905 JSM' on the dado in the dining room refer to James

Scott and his wife Jane Scott Miller married 1890, golden

wedding 1940, acquired Roselea and built extension 1905.

Roselea East and West reverted to separate ownership in

1989. The joinery in the 1905 addition is presumed to be

by Alex Thoms and the stencilling by R Robertson and Sons,

both St. Andrews. The leather panel depicting a dragon is

a modern replacement <> the Laird of Wormiston, Balgonie

Castle, Fife. Up-graded Category C(S) to B February, 1990

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.