This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8624 / 55°51'44"N
Longitude: -5.0959 / 5°5'45"W
OS Eastings: 206354
OS Northings: 667577
OS Grid: NS063675
Mapcode National: GBR FFS6.Y9R
Mapcode Global: WH1LD.PXK6
Entry Name: Kames Castle and Lodges
Listing Date: 20 July 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352319
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18286
Building Class: Cultural
Location: North Bute
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Isle of Bute
Parish: North Bute
Traditional County: Buteshire
16th century; alterations later 19th century. 5-stage, rectangular-plan tower with crowstep-gabled caphouse set behind battlemented parapet. Whitewashed harl; polished surrounds to 1st floor openings; corbelled parapet; surmounting coping. Circa 1900 single storey, L- and rectangular-plan Baronial-style lodges enclosing courtyard to W. Ribbon-pointed random rubble sandstone; polished dressings. Rubble quoins; long and short rubble surrounds to openings (some slightly droved yellow sandstone ashlar); moulded eaves; crowstepped gables.
CASTLE, NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: iron-studded, boarded timber door set in round-arched, rubble-dressed surround off-set to left of centre. Irregularly-disposed small openings in remaining floors above. SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: single windows at 1st floor in bays to outer left and right; small single window centred above; small single windows in both bays at 4th stage. SE (REAR) ELEVATION: single gunloop at ground off-set to right of centre; single window centred at 3rd stage. NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: single window at 1st floor in bay to outer left; small single window off-set to left of centre above; small single windows in both bays at 4th stage.
15-pane timber sash and case glazing to 1st floor hall; small-paned timber casement glazing to remaining openings. Waterspouts to battlemented parapet; graded grey slate roof to caphouse; crowstepped skews; apex stack to SE; circular cans.
INTERIOR: well set in ground floor; low timber-beamed ceiling; random rubble stair to upper floors. Pointed-arched vaulted stone hall at 1st floor; fireplace to E; segmental-arched window openings; deep reveals; boarded timber floor. Upper reception room comprising flat, timber-beamed ceiling; concrete floor; deep reveals to openings; blocked fireplace.
LODGES: circa 1900. Boarded timber doors; roll-moulded surrounds; regularly-disposed single windows (some boarded timber shutters); crowstepped gableheads breaking eaves. Full-width, glazed lean-to addition to N range (adapted for private accommodation). Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case glazing. Graded grey slate roofs; crowstepped skews; replacement rainwater goods. Coped ridge and apex stacks; single circular cans. INTERIORS: not seen 1996.
Built in the style of the 14th century, it is thought that the keep actually dates from the 16th century (MacGibbon and Ross). Formerly the ancient seat of the Bannatynes, a well-respected and powerful family who received a charter from King Robert the Bruce for their services at Bannockburn. Improvements to the tower were undertaken by the last in the line of Bannatynes - Sir William MacLeod, in the early 19th century. Besides being responsible for the walled garden, MacLeod also saw to the erection of a 2-storey, plain classical style house adjoining the keep (see photograph in Millar's CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF RENFREWSHIRE AND BUTESHIRE). This was later demolished and replaced by the group of cottages which remain today - the aim being to create a hunting lodge to serve the north of the island. From the Bannatynes, the estate passed to the Hamilton family and from here to Duncan Hoyle, a native of North Bute and convenor of the county. Finally, in 1863, Kames was encompassed within the Bute estate. MacGibbon and Ross record the keep as measuring approximately 36 feet by 25 feet, with walls more than 5 feet thick. Alterations to the upper section are thought to date from the later 19th century (possibly David Bryce). An ogee-roofed turret surmounting the NE corner is now missing (see illustration MacGibbon and Ross). Lodges adapted for use as holiday accommodation. The keep remains empty. Forms part of the Kames estate with the nearby walled garden and adjoining cottage, the gardener's cottage, gatelodge, gatepiers and gates (see separate list entries).
Other nearby listed buildings