This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7062 / 55°42'22"N
Longitude: -4.4943 / 4°29'39"W
OS Eastings: 243371
OS Northings: 648676
OS Grid: NS433486
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.FKDX
Mapcode Global: WH3PQ.YT1Y
Plus Code: 9C7QPG44+F7
Entry Name: Merryhill Farm
Listing Name: Merryhill Farm and Ancillary Buildings
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352562
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18505
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Annick
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Late 18th century. Traditional U-plan Ayrshire farm incorporating 2-storey, 3-bay farmhouse with steading wings to E and W and projecting single-storey gabled barn and pair of byres and cart shed to rear (N), forming courtyard. Painted rubble with contrasting painted margins. Single storey wing to E. Later central single-storey entrance porch to S elevation of farmhouse.
Farmhouse: predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows with horns to N and non-traditional replacement top-opening windows to S. Some 12-pane timber sash and case windows to E wing. Graded grey slates. Coped gable stacks.
Byres to E with boarded timber sliding doors. Barn with boarded timber door, small slit openings and boarded timber loft opening. Graded grey slates, some skylights.
Dating from the late 18th century, Merryhill Farm is a good, largely externally altered example of an Ayrshire farm. The U-plan form, incorporating a two storey farmhouse centrally within the lower byre ranges, is typical of the area and evolved specifically to suit the requirements of dairy farming. Farms like Merryhill form a key part of Ayrshire's landscape and are an important record of the area's agricultural history. Many similar farms in this form in Stewarton Parish have now been extended and Merryhill is a good example of one which shows little external alteration.
Marked on the John Thomson Map of 1828, Merryhill is described in the Name Book for the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1854-9 as being a large dairy farm with dwelling house. The farm is described by James Paterson in 1852 as having been acquired by John Dalziel from a Sir William Cunningham of Livingstone in 1771. It is probable that this new owner set about building the present farm. The byres to the East are of a later date than the house and barn as they are not indicated until the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1894.
Farming has always been an important part of the economy in this part of Ayrshire, in particular, dairy farming. The Statistical Account of Scotland of 1793, states that 'This parish and neighbourhood is remarkable for large good milk cows-they make fine sweet milk cheese, for which there is a great demand, and which gives a high price.'
List description updated as part of Stewarton Parish resurvey, 2009.
Other nearby listed buildings