This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0397 / 56°2'22"N
Longitude: -4.8029 / 4°48'10"W
OS Eastings: 225485
OS Northings: 686518
OS Grid: NS254865
Mapcode National: GBR 0B.RF0K
Mapcode Global: WH2LX.6G48
Plus Code: 9C8Q25QW+VR
Entry Name: Free Church Manse, Shore Road, Shandon
Listing Name: Shandon, Shore Road, the Manse (Formerly to Shandon Free Church) with Gates and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 18 March 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352596
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18539
Building Class: Cultural
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Lomond North
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
Circa 1844 with later 19th century additions. 2-storey, asymmetrical, gabled, former manse to adjoining former Free Church. Whinstone with sandstone ashlar margins and dressings. Chamfered reveals. Base course, cill course, quoin strips, decorative bargeboards.
W ELEVATION: 3-bay main block, 2 bays to left with slightly advanced broad bay to right, gabled ashlar porch in re-entrant angle; single storey block, 4th bay, to outer right. Segmental-headed doorway; 2-pane fanlight, 2-leaf door; hoodmould; bargeboard. Sandstone, tripartite bay window at ground left, bipartite above, gable over; single window to right. Broad gable to outer right of main block, canted bay at ground, blocking course, tripartite window at 1st floor, stepped hoodmould, label-stops. Single storey block to right, tripartite window, timber gable over.
E ELEVATION: rear elevation of house, later 19th century single storey addition extending E at outer right forming kitchen court. Stair window off-centre to right, etched glass, colured border; door and window at ground, , window at 1st floor outer right. 3-bay scullery, door with 2 windows to right, blocked door to outer right.
N ELEVATION: partially harled. 2 bays; windows symmetrically disposed.
S ELEVATION: 2 gabletted, symmetrical bays of single storey block. Taller main block behind, 3 symmetrical, gabled bays.
Plate glass sash and case windows. Grey slate, gabled roof. Coped, sandstone ridge stacks, octagonal cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
GATES AND BOUNDARY WALL: slender cast-iron gatepiers with pyramidal caps, painted black and gold. Decorative cast-iron gates with arcading, cross and star motifs.
The manse was built as the manse for the Old Shandon Free Church and so must date from about 1844. The manse is shown on the 1st edition map and on the 1896 edition the scullery wing is shown. The house was latterly known as Bracara but has since reverted to the original name, 'The Manse'.
Other nearby listed buildings