This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 60.2373 / 60°14'14"N
Longitude: -1.224 / 1°13'26"W
OS Eastings: 443074
OS Northings: 1150587
OS Grid: HU430505
Mapcode National: GBR R1BP.1V8
Mapcode Global: XHD2S.GYS9
Plus Code: 9CGW6QPG+WC
Entry Name: Mill Of Girlsta, Girlsta
Listing Name: Girlsta, Mill of Girlsta
Listing Date: 18 October 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352629
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18565
Building Class: Cultural
County: Shetland Islands
Electoral Ward: Shetland Central
Traditional County: Shetland
1861. Former commercial grain mill comprising 2-storey 2-bay earlier range with kiln at S end, and 2-storey and attic granary added to S, all in one continuous range oriented N-S. Random granite rubble walls with stugged ashlar dressings, harl pointing to later range.
S GABLE: symmetrical, 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber doors at each floor, ground and 1st floor doors in tall shared opening.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical, bays grouped 2-1-3, 2-storey lower range to left, regularly fenestrated, with square windows at 1st floor; single window below eaves to kiln at centre; regularly fenestrated granary range with square windows at 1st floor to right.
N GABLE: blank, squared rubble walls to pit containing cast-iron over-shot waterwheel at centre of gable, some timber paddles surviving.
E ELEVATION: asymmetrical, bays spaced 3-1-2, granary range to left with square windows at 1st floor in left and centre bays, loading door in bay to right; single window below eaves to kiln at centre; window and door in left and right bays respectively at 1st floor of range to outer right.
6 and 4-pane fixed-light timber windows to ground and 1st floors respectively. Stugged ashlar skew-copes, purple-grey slate roofs to kiln and later range
Girlsta mill was built by Hay & Co as a commercial mill to serve a number of farms at the time when horizontal mills were going out of use. There is little evidence of the lade that supplied the wheel, and the mill machinery has been removed (2000).
Other nearby listed buildings