This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 58.9632 / 58°57'47"N
Longitude: -2.8434 / 2°50'36"W
OS Eastings: 351590
OS Northings: 1008753
OS Grid: HY515087
Mapcode National: GBR M5B1.B5B
Mapcode Global: WH7C6.9Z73
Plus Code: 9CCVX574+7J
Entry Name: Ancilliary Building, Old St Andrews Manse, Tankerness
Listing Name: Tankerness, Old St Andrews Manse, Including Boundary Wall, Ancillary Building and Cottage
Listing Date: 9 December 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352633
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18568
Building Class: Cultural
Location: St Andrews and Deerness
County: Orkney Islands
Electoral Ward: East Mainland, South Ronaldsay and Burray
Parish: St Andrews And Deerness
Traditional County: Orkney
1756, raised 1793, enlarged and repaired, 1830. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay rectangular-plan, near-classical crowstep-gabled former manse with slightly advanced central bay. Single storey cottage abutting W gable to form L-plan. Harl-pointed roughly coursed rubble with concrete margins to openings. Single storey outbuilding to N.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: square-plan piended-roofed entrance porch with window (blocked) at ground in bay to centre; doorway in right return; window at each floor above; gablehead stack above. Window at ground in bay to right; tripartite window at 1st floor above. Window at ground in bay to left; window at 1st floor above.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: doorway at ground din bay to centre; tall stair window above. Window at ground in bay to left. Large, square-headed opening at ground in bay to right; piended-roofed attic doorway, breaking eaves above.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: doorway (blocked) at ground in bay to left. Window at 1st floor in bay to right; attic window to right of gablehead above.
Windows blocked or boarded. Graded stone tiled roof; stone ridge; remnants of cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: shell remains with evidence of floor divisions; timber tie beams at ceiling; fireplaces extant at each floor in E and W walls; evidence of low segmental-arched fireplace at ground to N wall.
COTTAGE FORMING W RANGE: 4-bay crowstep-gabled cottage, grouped 2-2 with lower 2-bay addition to left (N).
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: rectangular-plan flat-roofed glazed entrance porch/sun room spanning bay to centre; boarded door to right return. Window in bay to outer right. Small window in bay to left. Window in bay to outer left.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: evenly disposed window in each of 2 bays.
ANCILLARY BUILDING: single storey, 7-bay store sited to N of house.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: large, boarded sliding door in bay to centre. deep-set boarded door with window in each bay flanking in each 3-bay group flanking. Stone tiled roof; stone ridge; coped skews.
BOUNDARY WALL: coursed rubble wall with rubble cope to S of house, bordering road; small, square-plan, flat-roofed store with boarded door incorporated into wall.
Formerly an impressive manse to the North Church, around 1km to the SW. Superseded by a new manse sited close to S.
Other nearby listed buildings