History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tankerness, Old St Andrews Manse, Including Boundary Wall, Ancillary Building and Cottage

A Category B Listed Building in East Mainland, South Ronaldsay and Burray, Orkney Islands

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 58.9632 / 58°57'47"N

Longitude: -2.8434 / 2°50'36"W

OS Eastings: 351590

OS Northings: 1008753

OS Grid: HY515087

Mapcode National: GBR M5B1.B5B

Mapcode Global: WH7C6.9Z73

Entry Name: Tankerness, Old St Andrews Manse, Including Boundary Wall, Ancillary Building and Cottage

Listing Date: 9 December 1977

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 352633

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18568

Building Class: Cultural

Location: St Andrews and Deerness

County: Orkney Islands

Electoral Ward: East Mainland, South Ronaldsay and Burray

Parish: St Andrews And Deerness

Traditional County: Orkney

Find accommodation in
Kirkwall

Description

1756, raised 1793, enlarged and repaired, 1830. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay rectangular-plan, near-classical crowstep-gabled former manse with slightly advanced central bay. Single storey cottage abutting W gable to form L-plan. Harl-pointed roughly coursed rubble with concrete margins to openings. Single storey outbuilding to N.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: square-plan piended-roofed entrance porch with window (blocked) at ground in bay to centre; doorway in right return; window at each floor above; gablehead stack above. Window at ground in bay to right; tripartite window at 1st floor above. Window at ground in bay to left; window at 1st floor above.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: doorway at ground din bay to centre; tall stair window above. Window at ground in bay to left. Large, square-headed opening at ground in bay to right; piended-roofed attic doorway, breaking eaves above.

E (SIDE) ELEVATION: doorway (blocked) at ground in bay to left. Window at 1st floor in bay to right; attic window to right of gablehead above.

Windows blocked or boarded. Graded stone tiled roof; stone ridge; remnants of cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: shell remains with evidence of floor divisions; timber tie beams at ceiling; fireplaces extant at each floor in E and W walls; evidence of low segmental-arched fireplace at ground to N wall.

COTTAGE FORMING W RANGE: 4-bay crowstep-gabled cottage, grouped 2-2 with lower 2-bay addition to left (N).

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: rectangular-plan flat-roofed glazed entrance porch/sun room spanning bay to centre; boarded door to right return. Window in bay to outer right. Small window in bay to left. Window in bay to outer left.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: evenly disposed window in each of 2 bays.

ANCILLARY BUILDING: single storey, 7-bay store sited to N of house.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: large, boarded sliding door in bay to centre. deep-set boarded door with window in each bay flanking in each 3-bay group flanking. Stone tiled roof; stone ridge; coped skews.

BOUNDARY WALL: coursed rubble wall with rubble cope to S of house, bordering road; small, square-plan, flat-roofed store with boarded door incorporated into wall.

Statement of Interest

Formerly an impressive manse to the North Church, around 1km to the SW. Superseded by a new manse sited close to S.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.