This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 59.3469 / 59°20'48"N
Longitude: -2.8999 / 2°53'59"W
OS Eastings: 348920
OS Northings: 1051523
OS Grid: HY489515
Mapcode National: GBR M460.VPT
Mapcode Global: XH8K9.JBXB
Plus Code: 9CFV84W2+Q3
Entry Name: Holland House, Papa Westray
Listing Name: Holland House, Including Adjoining Boundary Walls to East and South- West
Listing Date: 8 December 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352679
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18600
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Papa Westray
County: Orkney Islands
Electoral Ward: North Isles
Parish: Papa Westray
Traditional County: Orkney
1810-14 with minor additions; incorporating earlier block to NW. 2-storey and attic; L-plan; main block; with single storey service wing adjoining S wing; later single storey lean-to bay links service wing to earlier 2-storey block to N; forming overall U-plan with courtyard wall to N. Laird's house with crowstepped gables throughout. Harled with ashlar dressings, apart from earlier rubble block to NW. Architraved openings to main (E and W) elevations of main block (including service wing).
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical 3-bay main block to right; entrance with later flat-roofed porch to central bay; window to front and left return; entrance with panelled timber door and rectangular-fanlight to right return. Window above. Flanking windows to ground and 1st floors. Single storey service wing adjoins to left; 2 windows to right.
E ELEVATION: slightly projecting gabled bay (main block) to left; window to left to each floor (including attic). Outer flanking windows set back to ground and 1st floors; central window to ground floor. Single storey lean-to addition (with window) adjoins to right. Slightly projecting later lean-to to outer right.
W ELEVATION: blank gable end of single storey service wing to right. 2 windows set back to attic of gable end of main block. Later lean-to attached to rear of service wing set back to left; entrance with late 20th century panelled timber door to left; narrow window to right. Earlier 2-storey block adjoins projecting to left. Window (formerly entrance) to centre; window (partially blocked) to left. 2 small boarded windows to 1st floor. 1st floor window to right of right return. Later lean-to adjoins to outer left with entrance with plain timber door.
N ELEVATION: gable end of main block to left; window to left of attic. Single storey lean-to addition projects to lower level; entrance to left. Courtyard wall adjoins front of lean-to to right; lower-height section with plain timber gate to left. Lean-to adjoins right section of courtyard wall and continues across gable end of earlier 2-storey block to right; entrance with plank door to left return; window with boarded timber shutter to left.
COURTYARD: W SIDE: remains of roofless single storey lean-to to right of earlier 2-storey block; opening to right gives access to entrance with plank door set back to right of 2-storey block. Ground floor window to left of lean-to. Concrete water tank on rubble base projects to left. S SIDE: coursed rubble single storey lean-to addition projects to right/most of main block. Tall narrow inserted/enlarged window set back to left, rising through ground and 1st floors. E SIDE: small single storey lean-to addition projects to left of main block; window to front. Tall narrow inserted/enlarged window set back to right, rising through ground and 1st floors. Window to side of lean-to addition adjoining E wing to outer left. N SIDE: retaining wall with gateway to right.
Mostly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Stone slate roofs to main ranges; stone flagged roof to lean-to to N of earlier 2-storey block; corrugated asbestos to 2 of lean-tos. Gablehead stacks with band courses to both wing ends of main block; ridge stack with band course to E wing. Gablehead stack with band course surmounted by tall harled extension to single storey service wing; gablehead stacks with band courses at either end of earlier 2-storey wing; round cans (cans missing to earlier 2-storey wing).
INTERIOR: plain staircase with timber handrail. 6-panel timber doors. Plain fireplace surrounds and cornices to main rooms. Plank doors and stone flagged ground floor to slightly earlier 2-storey block.
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble boundary walls with rubble coping adjoin house to E and W. That to E runs in a straight line (with small gap adjacent to house) parallel to pair of storehouses/bothies to NW. That to W curves round to SW following line of road.
B-Group with Walled Garden, pair of Storehouses/Bothies, Dovecot, Windmill Stump and Store and Holland Farm (see separate list descriptions). An intact traditional laird's house of the early 19th century. The earlier block to the NW may date from as early as the mid 17th century. The estate was bought in 1637 by Thomas Traill, a soldier and a member of what became a large landholding family in Orkney. The main block of the house was built by George Traill (VI of Holland), who made a lot of money from the local kelp industry. He and his son, Thomas, rebuilt much of the adjacent farm. The house and estate remained in the possession of the Traill family (apart from a gap between 1886 and 1928 following the bancruptcy of the then laird) until 1952.
Other nearby listed buildings