This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 60.3042 / 60°18'15"N
Longitude: -1.6644 / 1°39'51"W
OS Eastings: 418645
OS Northings: 1157830
OS Grid: HU186578
Mapcode National: GBR Q17H.Q41
Mapcode Global: XHBVN.Q81H
Plus Code: 9CGW883P+M6
Entry Name: Melby House
Listing Name: Melby, Melby House, Including Garden Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 13 August 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352715
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18629
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Walls and Sandness
County: Shetland Islands
Electoral Ward: Shetland West
Parish: Walls And Sandness
Traditional County: Shetland
Later 18th century. 2-storey and attic 3-bay symmetrical former laird?s house with single storey M-roofed wing to rear forming square plan. Harled walls with painted margins to window. Eaves course. Projecting window cills, margined corners. Entrance door at ground in centre bay of principal (NE) elevation with windows in flanking bays, regular fenestration at 1st floor.
SE ELEVATION: asymmetrical, 2-bay gable of principal range to right, single window at ground in bay to right, regular fenestration at 1st floor, small square window in bay to right at attic. 3-bay rear wing extending to left, with door in centre bay, gabled projection in right bay, and window in left bay.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: symmetrical, single storey rear wing advanced at centre; parapet linking 3-flue apex stacks to M-roof.
NW ELEVATION: single storey lean-to to blank gable of principal range at left, rear wing extending to right.
12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof to principal range, glass M-roof to rear wing, painted ashlar bracketted skew-copes. Harled gablehead stacks, coped with circular cans.
GARDEN WALLS AND GATEPIERS: garden fronting principal elevation enclosed to NE by harled wall gate at centre comprising square stugged sandstone gatepiers with pyramidal caps; rectangular enclosures flanking central garden to NW and SE.
Melby House was the seat of the Scotts of Melby until 1895. A prominent landmark in this part of the west mainland, its proportions show a distinct similarity to Burrastow House which dates from 1759.
Other nearby listed buildings