This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 60.5719 / 60°34'18"N
Longitude: -1.1879 / 1°11'16"W
OS Eastings: 444615
OS Northings: 1187876
OS Grid: HU446878
Mapcode National: GBR R0FS.SF5
Mapcode Global: XHD17.YJBS
Plus Code: 9CGWHRC6+QV
Entry Name: Pier, The North Haa, West Sandwick, Yell
Listing Name: West Sandwick, North Haa (West Sandwick House), Including Garden Walls, Gates and Gatepiers, Walled Garden, and Pier
Listing Date: 13 August 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352742
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18648
Building Class: Cultural
County: Shetland Islands
Electoral Ward: North Isles
Traditional County: Shetland
17th century, with addition of circa 1770, both remodelled circa 1830. Laird's house comprising symmetrical 2-storey 3-bay remodelling of 17th century house, connected by central 2-storey link to 2-storey and attic 3-bay classical remodelling of later 18th century house to S; latter flanked to E and W by walls connecting to single storey single bay pedimented pavilions. Harled and lined rubble walls with droved sandstone ashlar margins and details. Projecting cills to windows.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical, droved ashlar single storey pedimented porch projecting at centre comprising vertically-boarded timber door with plate glass fanlight, channelled ashlar surround, flanked by pilasters with rosettes, urn finial to pediment; windows flanking outer bays at ground; round-arched window centred at 1st floor, tripartite windows in outer bays; principal block flanked by single storey single bay walls with glazed doors; single storey single bay pavilions advanced and flanking to outer right and left, each with Venetian windows and pediments with blind oculi and ball finials.
E ELEVATION: 4-pane timber sash and case window to link recessed between blank gables of N and S blocks; gable of N block advanced at right and blank E wall of E pavilion advanced at left.
N ELEVATION: symmetrical, timber fixed-light with triangulated glazing pattern to upper part of infilled door centred at ground; windows in flanking bays, regular fenestration at 1st floor; 2-leaf latticed gate in single storey courtyard wall extending to left; blank rear elevation of S block recessed at right.
W ELEVATION: 2-bay gable of S block advanced at right, ground floor obscured by lean-to addition, regular fenestration at 1st floor, attic window to right in gablehead; 4-pane timber sash and case window to link recessed at left, blank gable of N block to outer left.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows, with 4-pane pattern to link block and lower right window of N elevation. Grey slate roofs to N and S blocks, droved ashlar skew-copes, bracketted skewputts to S block; modern metal roofs to pavilions. Harled gablehead stacks, heightened at N block, all with concrete copes and circular cans; octagonal single-flue wallhead stacks with circular cans to outer walls of pavilions.
GARDEN WALLS, GATES, AND GATEPIERS: harl-pointed rubble walls enclosing roughly square formal garden to S of principal elevation adjoining pavilions at E and W; gates adjacent to pavilions comprising square droved ashlar gatepiers with bases and corniced pyramidal caps, flanked by dwarf walls with fleur-de-lys finialled railings surviving to W; railings removed from ashlar-coped dwarf wall bounding S side, cast-iron stanchions surviving to gate at centre. Basket-arched openings in walls linking N elevations of pavilions to large walled garden enclosing N side of house; garden extends to E and W, with basket-arched openings in S walls and centred in N wall, rounded corners to NE and NW. Harl-pointed rubble ashlar-coped dwarf wall forming semicircular plan enclosure within walled garden adjoining N elevation of N block, gate at N point comprising square droved ashlar gatepiers with bases and corniced pyramidal caps; rubble and concrete steps to E. Additional wall extending E from E pavilion and enclosing yard open to E.
PIER: coursed stugged sandstone sides with slabbed carriageway; steps set into W side at S end.
INTERIOR: late 18th century timber staircase with simple balustrade to S block; partly panelled SW attic room with dentilled cornice.
The present house was created by John Ogilvy of Quarff soon after his marriage in 1829 to Barbara Grace Robertson who was heiress to the estate. He embarked on a remodelling of what was probably a 17th century house with a grander front block added around 1770. Ogilvy rebuilt the older house, and added the classical details and pavilions to the front block which is likely to have been a standard large Shetland haa of 3 bays with high wallhead concealing a garret. The formal arrangement of garden seems to also date from the remodelling, with the design centring on the S block. This includes the semicircular enclosure to the N which adjoins, but otherwise ignores, the N block. The pier is perhaps Shetland's finest example of a domestic pier. Viewed from the main road, North Haa provides a spectacular focus to this part of western Yell, and indicates the impact the tall lowland design of the haas once had throughout Shetland.
Other nearby listed buildings