This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5043 / 56°30'15"N
Longitude: -2.9052 / 2°54'18"W
OS Eastings: 344379
OS Northings: 735057
OS Grid: NO443350
Mapcode National: GBR VM.F15F
Mapcode Global: WH7R5.BST3
Plus Code: 9C8VG33V+PW
Entry Name: Dovecot, Farm Steading, Burnside Of Duntrune
Listing Name: Duntrune, Duntrune Home Farm, the Steading
Listing Date: 12 December 1988
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352765
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18668
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Monifieth and Sidlaw
Traditional County: Angus
Rebuilt 1824 incorporating parts of an improved steading of 1750; horse-mill and threshing barn added to courtyard plan. Coursed rubble with droved ashlar dressings and voussoirs; slate roofs reslated at single storey ranges. Buildings described in anti-clockwise order, from entrance.
E STABLE RANGE, INCLUDING GROOM/TACKSMAN?S HOUSE: 18th century, remodelled and heightened by 2 or 3 courses; S gable has 3 inserted reused armorial panels, dated 1664, inscribed EG WG (Graham of Duntrune), door to stable and hayloft door, straight skews and skewputts, horse weathervane, semi-circular gateposts to left.
E ELEVATION: 2 windows to stable, 1 further window, formerly a door to stable with lintel dated 1750; harled porch with piended roof fronting dwelling.
W ELEVATION: stable wall blind, 3 small windows with double lintels,
1 formerly a door, windows small-paned, some sash and case; 2 stacks with thackstanes. Interior of stable with loose boxes.
N RANGE: dated 1824 at central dovecot, single storey former byre with 2 doors to S elevation, 1 to N at right. 2-storey cartshed and hayloft; N elevation, 4 segmental-arched cart openings, door and single window to right, 5 boarded/louvred windows above; S elevation, four 1st floor windows similar, 3 modern openings to left of dovecot.
INTERIOR: 1st floor partitions of reused 18th century panelling (probably from the earlier Duntrune House, rebuilt by William Burn 1826).
DOVECOT: raised access window with dated lintel; blocked round-arched opening above; open pedimented gable; low wall with trough and gatepier advanced to S; interior lined with brick and stone slab nesting boxes.
NW RANGE: threshing barn, extended from N range, 2-storey, N elevation 4-bay. 2 ground floor doors (1 widened), 2 windows; 1st floor boarded windows; W gable large off-centre loading door, E gable blind; S elevation 4 small 1st floor windows adjoin horse-mill and byre; piended roof.
HORSE-MILL: circular, 4 openings of various widths, 2 now windows; conical roof; interior, 2 tiers of radial beams, no machinery.
W RANGE: single storey byre with additions; interior collar beam roof with older kingpost truss wall of N range; pigsties to W, now roofless.
S RANGE: single storey byre possible 18th century with modern addition; older cat-slide roofed rubble extension at E; E gable has elliptically- arched keystoned carriage entrance with margined oculus above, smaller door to left, semi-circular gatepost to right; interior, stone milking parlour boxes.
The steading is disused (1990). There is an early 19th century cast- and wrought-iron pump at 15m SE of entrance courtyard. See also the NOTES to Duntrune House.
Other nearby listed buildings