History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hamnavoe, St Magnus (South Yell) Kirk (Church of Scotland), Including Graveyard Walls and Post Box

A Category B Listed Building in North Isles, Shetland Islands

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 60.5041 / 60°30'14"N

Longitude: -1.1014 / 1°6'4"W

OS Eastings: 449459

OS Northings: 1180385

OS Grid: HU494803

Mapcode National: GBR R0MZ.9ZM

Mapcode Global: XHF8F.27LR

Entry Name: Hamnavoe, St Magnus (South Yell) Kirk (Church of Scotland), Including Graveyard Walls and Post Box

Listing Date: 18 October 1977

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 352777

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18678

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Yell

County: Shetland Islands

Electoral Ward: North Isles

Traditional County: Shetland

Find accommodation in
Ulsta

Description

Dated 1838. Symmetrical 2-bay hall church of rectangular plan. Painted rubble walls and ashlar margins. Segmental-arched windows with projecting cills. Margined openings and corners.

E (ENTRANCE) GABLE: symmetrical, 8-panel 2-leaf timber entrance door in segmental-arched opening centred at ground, windows flanking, single stair window centred above, 2 gallery windows in gablehead.

S ELEVATION: 2 widely-spaced bays, former door in left bay, infilled to cill height and glazed above.

W GABLE: symmetrical, 2 large windows with high cills flanking centre.

N ELEVATION: mirrored image of S elevation.

Timber sash and case glazing, 12-pane to E gable, 30-pane to original hall windows; 12-pane top-hoppered lights to former doors; shutter hinge-pins to windows. Grey slate roof with sandstone ashlar skew-copes, ball finialled at apex of E gable, stugged ashlar bird-cage bell-cote with ball-finialled pyramidal cap to W gable. Small stugged ashlar wallhead stack to S elevation at vestry.

INTERIOR: vertically-boarded timber lining to vestibule, gallery stair at N side, 4-panel doors, that to S leading to vertically-boarded timber-lined vestry, that to W accessing hall (also timber lined) with horizontally-boarded pews facing pulpit centring W wall comprising perron steps to canted and panelled pulpit with corniced hexagonal canopy suspended above. Timber gallery across E wall, supported by cluster columns, with panelled and corniced front (currently infilled above (1997).

GRAVEYARD WALLS: harled battered rubble walls with triangular concrete cope enclosing church and tapering to W; Edwardian post box to SE corner.

Statement of Interest

In ecclesiastical use. The interior appears to have been remodelled, but this church is uncluttered by the later external additions of many other Shetland churches.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.