This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 59.3118 / 59°18'42"N
Longitude: -2.9703 / 2°58'13"W
OS Eastings: 344855
OS Northings: 1047663
OS Grid: HY448476
Mapcode National: GBR M413.S0G
Mapcode Global: XH8KG.M69S
Plus Code: 9CFV826H+PV
Entry Name: Brough House, Braehead, Westray
Listing Name: Brough House, Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 8 December 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352866
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18733
Building Class: Cultural
County: Orkney Islands
Electoral Ward: North Isles
Traditional County: Orkney
Late 18th/early 19th century with slightly later addition to W. 2-storey and attic with single storey addition; rectangular-plan; laird's house with crowstepped gables and near-symmetrical principal (S) elevation. Coursed rubble, harled apart from to W side.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: original 3-bay block to right. Central entrance with later gabled porch; window to front; entrance with panelled timber door to right return. Window above and flanking windows to ground and 1st floors. Smaller single storey 3-bay addition to left. Central entrance with boarded timber door and rectangular fanlight; flanking windows.
N ELEVATION: original block to left. 2 near-central windows to ground and 1st floors; one to right of ground floor. Larger window to left of 1st floor. Breaking-eaves dormer to nepus gable to right of centre. Single storey addition adjoins to right (concrete block tank projects at junction). Entrance with boarded timber door to right; 2 small windows to left.
E ELEVATION: 2 windows to 1st floor and attic; one to left of ground floor.
W ELEVATION: blank gable end of single storey addition. Attic window set back to left and right of gable end of main block.
12-pane timber sash and case windows (largely broken/panes missing). Caithness slate roof (partially missing). Gablehead stacks with band courses to either side of main block; one at head of nepus gable to N side of main block; round cans where in existence; T-can to nepus gable stack.
INTERIOR: stone flagged floor to kitchen to left of entrance in main block; cast-iron range in fireplace; timber fireplace surround. Dog-leg staircase with plain timber balustrade. Large semicircular-plan stone range in single storey addition probably for heating water for laundry.
BOUNDARY WALL: coursed rubble boundary wall with rubble coping encloses house on all sides, enclosing a larger area to N. Remains of some rubble/harled outbuildings built around small enclosed yard to N of single storey addition. Small square-plan walled garden at NE corner of enclosed area (walls same height as boundary wall).
A handsome traditional Scottish laird's house (the only one on the island); intact although in a derelict condition (2000). The estate belonged to the Stewart family (Edward, the first laird, was an illegitimate son of Earl Robert Stewart of Orkney) from around the end of the 16th century until the middle of the 19th century (it was left to trustees by the 8th laird, James Stewart, in 1858). According to Fenton it belonged to the Traill family during the same period (the two families do appear to have been related however). In the early 1840's 'Mr Stewart of Brugh' was described as the head of one of only two families of independent fortune residing in the parish (then including Papa Westray, New Statistical Account). By 1880 it was certainly in the possession of the Traills of Holland (OS Name Book), for whom the nearby steading (see separate list description) may have been built.
Other nearby listed buildings