History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Benbecula 1, 2 & 3 Nunton House Outbuildings and Gatepiers

A Category B Listed Building in Beinn na Foghla agus Uibhist a Tuath, Na h-Eileanan Siar

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.4563 / 57°27'22"N

Longitude: -7.397 / 7°23'49"W

OS Eastings: 76459

OS Northings: 853531

OS Grid: NF764535

Mapcode National: GBR 8940.DR0

Mapcode Global: WGV2R.BVW9

Entry Name: Benbecula 1, 2 & 3 Nunton House Outbuildings and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 5 October 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 352898

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18758

Building Class: Cultural

Location: South Uist

County: Na h-Eileanan Siar

Electoral Ward: Beinn na Foghla agus Uibhist a Tuath

Parish: South Uist

Traditional County: Inverness-shire

Find accommodation in
Creagorry

Description

Late 18th/early 19th century. Former small mansion, now 3
houses.
2 rectangular-plan blocks arranged in L-plan, forming 2 sides
of a courtyard, latter closed at north by pair of
pyramidal-roofed square-plan outbuildings (entry between);
wall to east with corniced square gatepiers. Harled. West
range probably built first; 3-bay courtyard elevation,
asymmetrical west elevation has off-centre piended porch,
upper windows with piended dormer heads; taller south range
with 6-bay south front, 2 doors to courtyard, one in piended
timber porch, attic dormers above. Mainly 12-pane sash
windows. Corniced end and axial stacks; straight skews; slate
roofs.
Outbuildings each single storey with attic 2-bay north
elevation, coped apex stacks. Extensive range of walled
gardens to east and small enclosure to west; all rubble
built, with pitched coping.

Statement of Interest

The writer in the NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (p.188) states that

the stones of the former nunnery were re-used in building

Clanranald's mansion and offices.

Became Clan Ranald's seat after 1715 when Ormaclett was

burned, until 1839 when the estate was sold (Thomson, THE

UISTS & BARRA, 1974. p.82).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.