This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6128 / 57°36'46"N
Longitude: -2.6932 / 2°41'35"W
OS Eastings: 358681
OS Northings: 858302
OS Grid: NJ586583
Mapcode National: GBR M8QL.T2L
Mapcode Global: WH7KV.LXQB
Plus Code: 9C9VJ874+4P
Entry Name: Ordiquhill And Cornhill Parish Church, Mid Street, Cornhill
Listing Name: Cornhill, Mid Street, Ordiquhill and Cornhill Parish Church (Church of Scotland) Church with Retaining Wall and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 4 March 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352941
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18790
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banff and District
Traditional County: Banffshire
Dated 1844, remodelled probably 1903 by Duncan MacMillan. Rectangular plan church, orientated N-S, with 2-stage tower adjoining to SE, vestry to NW. Harled with ashlar dressings; buttresses, hoodmoulds, eaves course, parapet.
S ELEVATION: adjoined to SE corner; pointed-arch doorway to S with 2-leaf boarded door, hoodmould extending as string and cill course around tower. 3-light pointed-arch window above, date plaque reading "United Free Church, 1844, 1903", and tall louvred pointed-arch windows to belfry.
E ELEVATION: 2-light window at ground, (louvred window to belfry).
Cornice with water spouts, coped battlemented parapet around pyramidal slated roof with weathervane.
S ELEVATION: 3-light, stepped window with hoodmould, round panel with quatrefoil relief to gablehead, apex finial. Tower balanced at SW corner by large angle buttress with string courses and gablet cap.
W ELEVATION: 3-bays, divided by ashlar set-off buttresses; 3-light, cusped pointed-arch window to each bay. Lower, single storey vestry adjoining to N with round-arched doorway and window, finial to gable.
E ELEVATION: tower to S, 2 bays to N as above.
N ELEVATION: 2 tall, round-arched windows.
Small-pane, leaded stained glass to windows. Grey slates, ashlar coped skews, stack to vestry.
RETAINING WALL AND GATEPIERS: rubble coped wall, panelled ashlar gatepiers to S with pyramidal caps.
INTERIOR: remodelled by D MacMillan, circa 1890. Raked S-N, matchboarded to dado, stencilling above and around windows. Ribbed ceiling with stencilling. Stained glass to S presented by Rev G Macdonald and Family.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such, the church was built as the Free Church, becoming the United Free Church in 1903 and is now the parish church of the established church. The parish is now joined with Boyndie. D MacMillan was the architect of the Hay Memorial Hall, Cornhill, 1893, to the SW (listed separately), and built the UP Church in Aberchirder Burgh.
Other nearby listed buildings