This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5791 / 55°34'44"N
Longitude: -2.3161 / 2°18'57"W
OS Eastings: 380168
OS Northings: 631758
OS Grid: NT801317
Mapcode National: GBR D38X.CW
Mapcode Global: WH8Y7.D1BB
Plus Code: 9C7VHMHM+JH
Entry Name: Hoselaw Chapel
Listing Name: Hoselaw Chapel (Church of Scotland) Including Boundary Walls and Gate
Listing Date: 20 February 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352948
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18799
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Kelso and District
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
Peter MacGregor Chalmers, circa 1905. Rectangular-plan, 4-bay church with bowed apse to E; lean-to vestry to N. Squared and snecked (rake-jointed in part), slightly bull-faced sandstone; sandstone ashlar dressings. Sandstone quoins; long and short sandstone surrounds to round-arched openings; chamfered cills.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: chamfered surround to boarded timber door at ground in bay to outer left; irregularly spaced narrow single windows in remaining bays to right. Small, square-headed window in bowed apse recessed to outer right.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: nave comprising projecting lean-to vestry in bay to outer left; small single windows in 2 bays to right; battered wallhead stack breaking eaves in bay to outer right. Bowed apse recessed to outer left.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: tall, round-arched window centred in gable.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: bowed apse centred in gable; gablehead with simple ashlar bellcote; bell in place; cruciform finial.
Predominantly plain leaded glazing; single stained glass window centred in apse; large stained glass window centred in W gable. Graded grey slate roof; raised stone skews. Battered wallhead stack to N; single can.
INTERIOR: nave comprising bare sandstone walls; deeply chamfered reveals to openings; open boarded timber ceiling; individual timber chairs. Simple timber lectern; droved sandstone, circular-plan covered font with carved decorative banding. Boarded timber door accessing vestry; rake-jointed bare sandstone walls. Steps to large arch dividing nave and raised apse; timber communion table set within; tiled floor; bare sandstone wall beneath decorative fresco with angels supporting banner inscribed "Alleluia for the Lord God Omnipoteat reigaeta"; single stained glass window depicting Christ centred below.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATE: rubble-coped rubble walls enclosing near square-plan site; cast-iron pedestrian entry gate.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Situated near the site of the ancient chapel of Hoselaw, said to have been associated with Kelso Abbey from 1421 (see early Ordnance Survey map). No structural remains of this early edifice survive. According to a plaque set within, this later chapel was "...dedicated to the worship of God in memory of Thomas Leishman DD in the year of Our Lord 1906." Leishman was parish minister from 1855, followed in 1895 by his son, James Fleming Leishman. It was during his ministry that Hoselaw Chapel was built and, in 1912, Linton Church was restored - Peter MacGregor Chalmers being responsible for both (see separate list entry). With good simple detailing both inside and out, Hoselaw remains virtually as it was when first complete - the Phoebe Traquair-like fresco still particularly impressive. A good example of a small parish chapel, this is also a fine and thereby, significant example of the work of Glasgow-based architect, Peter MacGregor Chalmers.