This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 59.1583 / 59°9'29"N
Longitude: -2.6364 / 2°38'11"W
OS Eastings: 363704
OS Northings: 1030347
OS Grid: HY637303
Mapcode National: GBR M4VJ.GYQ
Mapcode Global: WH8CN.G2SG
Plus Code: 9CFV5957+8C
Entry Name: Huip Farmhouse, Stronsay
Listing Name: Huip Farmhouse, Walled Garden and Steading
Listing Date: 22 January 2008
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352965
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18822
Building Class: Cultural
County: Orkney Islands
Electoral Ward: North Isles
Traditional County: Orkney
Probably 18th century. Tall 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, symmetrical, single-pile gabled farm house with gabled dormers, advanced gabled porch, single storey 2-bay wing adjoining N gable, and associated walled garden, domestic ancillaries and steading buildings. Roughcast-rendered masonry. Regular fenestration set in deep, unmargined, window reveals. Timber-boarded front door in side (S) elevation of gabled porch. Stumpy finials to dormers and porch.
Predominantly 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; some 12-pane glazing. Ashlar-coped skews to gables, dormers and porch. Corniced and coped wallhead stacks with yellow clay cans. Grey stone slates.
INTERIOR: retains original room layout of two rooms per floor on either side of central staircase with smaller room behind. Original timber fittings still in situ.
A very prominently-sited farmhouse with associated buildings, located on the approach to the sheltered anchorage at Papa Sound. The date of the house is not easily established, but it is believed to date from the mid 18th century, and may even be earlier. A substantial 2 storey house (one of 9 on the island) is shown at Huip on William Aberdeen's map of 1769. A similar house is shown on Thomson's map. The house itself bears a striking similarity to Haa houses of the Shetland Islands, which are typically of two or three storeys with a symmetrical frontage and only one room deep. This is explained by the lack of timber of sufficient size for floor joists for large rooms; extra floor space was obtained by extending upwards.
The Huip estate, which itself dates at least to the mid 17th century, was purchased by David Balfour in the 1760s, who, according to the Statistical Account, set about improving his land, and encouraged other local farmers to adopt Improvement methods (apparently without much success). It is possible that he was responsible for the building of the house and steading buildings. According to the previous list description and RIAS guide, Huip was subsequently owned by David Drever, who was responsible for promoting herring fishing in 1814.