This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6099 / 55°36'35"N
Longitude: -2.6696 / 2°40'10"W
OS Eastings: 357918
OS Northings: 635349
OS Grid: NT579353
Mapcode National: GBR 93SK.VT
Mapcode Global: WH7WQ.Y8Y6
Plus Code: 9C7VJ85J+X5
Entry Name: Walled Garden, Drygrange House
Listing Name: Drygrange, Walled Garden
Listing Date: 4 June 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352998
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18836
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Leaderdale and Melrose
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
Possibly 17th century and later alterations of various dates. Large walled garden to E of house. Earliest rubble portions possibly dating to 17th century including roundel to W wall, subsquently rebuilt with ashlar copings; part brick-lined; gateways rebuilt in ashlar circa 1906 to designs of D M Peddie and C G H Kinnear.
Elaborate Jacobean gateway to W: fluted Roman-Doric pilasters with broken pediment and Jacobethan obelisk finials; arched entrance with decorative wrought-iron gates of 1906. Wall section to right (S section of W wall) rebuilt in brick.
Late 20th century house with contemporary landscaped garden set within walls.
Part of a B-Group including 'Drygrange House (Grangehall Care Home, Formerly St Andrew's College) Including Garden Terrace Walls to South'; 'Drygrange, Walled Garden'; ' Drygrange, North Lodge Including Gates, Gatepiers and Quadrant Walls'; 'Drygrange, South Lodge Including Gates, Gatepiers and Quadrant Walls'; 'Drygrange, House to North of Steading'; 'Drygrange, Stables and Steading' and 'Drygrange, Summerhouse'.
The footprint of Drygrange Walled Garden, which nestles within a natural bend in the course of the Leader Water, predates the present house and possibly dates back as far as the 17th century. The lands of Drygrange were owned during the 16th and 17th centuries by Melrose Abbey. The Walled Garden is particularly notable in its laterday form for its grand Neo-Jacobean entrance with fine scrolled wrought-iron gates of 1906 by renowned Edinburgh architects, Peddie and Washington Browne, who also remodelled the South Lodge in 1905 (see separare listing).
List description updated at resurvey (2010).
Other nearby listed buildings