This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6143 / 55°36'51"N
Longitude: -2.6772 / 2°40'37"W
OS Eastings: 357441
OS Northings: 635842
OS Grid: NT574358
Mapcode National: GBR 93RJ.58
Mapcode Global: WH7WQ.V4BV
Plus Code: 9C7VJ87F+P4
Entry Name: North Lodge, Drygrange House
Listing Name: Drygrange, North Lodge (Former Factor's House) Including Gates, Gatepiers and Enclosing Walls
Listing Date: 4 June 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353006
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18840
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Leaderdale and Melrose
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
C G H Kinnear, 1889. 2-storey, 3-bay lodge house with single-storey lean-to adjoining E gable (former washhouse). Red, squared and snecked sandstone rubble with overhanging eaves. Gabled timber porch to centre. Dormer windows breaking eaves on front elevation. Lightly moulded barge-boards with ball pendentives at gable ends, dormers and gabled porch to centre, principal elevation. Bi-partite windows to outer bays flanking porch and single window above.
GATEPIERS: pair of pale sandstone ashlar gatepiers, fielded and corniced, with large decorative obelisk finials. Wrought iron gates, 1906. Coped corsed rubble quadrant wall to N and S of gates.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows. Slated roof; corniced end stacks.
Part of a B-Group comprising 'Drygrange House (Grangehall Care Home, Formerly St Andrew's College) Including Garden Terrace Walls to South'; 'Drygrange, Walled Garden'; ' Drygrange, North Lodge Including Gates, Gatepiers and Quadrant Walls'; 'Drygrange, South Lodge Including Gates, Gatepiers and Quadrant Walls'; 'Drygrange, House to North of Steading'; 'Drygrange, Stables and Steading' and 'Drygrange, Summerhouse'.
Located at the northen entrance to the former Drygrange House estate, the North Lodge is a comparatively large and well detailed example of its type of red sandstone, notable for its broad overhanging timber bargeboarding and porch. Originally the porch was open with timber supporting columns, later enclosed making use of non-traditional single-pane glazing. The house was formerly occupied by the factor of the estate, adding to its historical interest. A later, non-traditional corrugated-roofed garage addition has been made to the W gable (road) elevation. The obelisk gatepier finials and wrought-iron gates of 1906 are contemporaneous with the South Lodge and with the main gate of the walled garden (see separate listings), adding to the wider contextual interest of the Drygrange estate.
List description updated at resurvey (2010).
Other nearby listed buildings