History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Manse

A Category B Listed Building in Morham, East Lothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9436 / 55°56'36"N

Longitude: -2.7125 / 2°42'45"W

OS Eastings: 355592

OS Northings: 672513

OS Grid: NT555725

Mapcode National: GBR 2V.YGKC

Mapcode Global: WH7TZ.9VKY

Entry Name: The Old Manse

Listing Date: 13 May 1991

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 353044

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18868

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Morham

County: East Lothian

Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir

Parish: Morham

Traditional County: East Lothian

Find accommodation in
Haddington

Description

James Gillespie Graham, 1826, with Robert Wright as overseeing architect. 2-storey, 3-bay, T-plan manse with later single storey additions. Harled Chesters rubble with Hailes ashlar quoins, margins and eaves course. W elevation: substantial pilastered doorpiece at centre with segmentally arched doorway; decorative fanlight and deep-set panelled door; windows in flanking bays and to each bay at 1st floor.

E elevation:jamb projecting at centre with stair window on S return by re-entrant angle; porch addition at ground; single storey piend roofed addition set in re-entrant angle to N, with 1st floor windows above; E end with window to each floor at centre, and additional window at ground. N and S elevations: originally blank. Decorative modern conservatory added to S elevation of N-S block, and garage to

N. Small-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows. Shouldered and corniced ashlar end stacks (1 brick repaired); decorative cans

retained. Grey slates to piend roofs.

Statement of Interest

Louden described that "Plans and specifications for the new manse were prepared by Mr Gillespie Graham", a fact ascertained from the kirk-session records. Messrs Swinton and Dickson were the contractors. Earlier manse was sited mearer to the church by the

burn, and was pulled down in 1827, owing to its ruinous condition. The new manse cost between $800 and $900.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.