This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9444 / 55°56'39"N
Longitude: -2.7115 / 2°42'41"W
OS Eastings: 355658
OS Northings: 672597
OS Grid: NT556725
Mapcode National: GBR 2V.YGRP
Mapcode Global: WH7TZ.BV1C
Entry Name: Morham Parish Church with Graveyard Walls
Listing Date: 5 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353046
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18870
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir
Traditional County: East Lothian
1724, with Dalrymple Aisle, circa 1730, and bellcote of
1685, incorporated from earlier church. Rubble red sandstone, harl pointed; ashlar dressings; classical frontage to N, Dalrymple Aisle in white ashlar. Body of church: 4-bays to S with round arched keystone openings; doorway in outer right bay, with semi-circular fanlight and 2-leaf doors; windows in remaining bays, that to outer left blocked from former doorway; stone with banded carving incorporated from earlier structure, inserted to left of present doorway. Steeply pitched gables to E and W, that to E blank with ventilation windows, corniced burial enclosure adjoined at ground and bellcote at apex. N elevation blank with Aisle projecting at centre. Bellcote and bell: birdcage
bellcote, 1685, in stone with cornice and ogival stone
cap; thackstones. Bell cast in 1681, dated, and with inscription "Sir James Stansfield Donum Eius". Dalrymple Aisle: circa 1730, dwarfing body of church, with higher eaves cornice and base course. Classical ashlar frontage applied to N gable with tripartite
arrangement, rusticated quoins and base course; raised bay at centre with Gibbsian doorpiece; 2-leaf panelled doors; simply panel above and in flanking bays at ground; 2 Gibbsian windows lighting loft, sharing cornice with centre bay; corniced and richly carved armorial panel above at centre, with segmental pediment and curved mouldings flanking to link windows below. Die or squat stack above. Loft no longer accessible from interior, only by stone forestair and doorway on E return, and lit by further window on W return. Decorative leaded pattern to round arched windows; 12-pane glazing pattern to Dalrymple Aisle in sash and case windows. Grey slates. Early skew form to original church; ashlar coping to Aisle. Interior: plain; boarded dado, painted plaster and coombed ceiling. Centre aisle. Panelled surround to
doorway. Suitable 18th century style communion table and pulpit.
Centre lights in coronet form. Etched window at W end, of Celtic Cross. Graveyard walls: substantial rubble, harl pointed boundary
walls, including to W, outer wall of former manse offices, now residential; bee bole in 1 corner. Selection of much-weathered gravestones with memento mori and artisan classical form.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.Rec James Forsyth,minister,writing in 1837,in the NSA,commented sweepingly that Morham should be annihilated or augmented as it was too small to justify the status of an independent parish,being wasteful of Church of Scotland funds.Morham is the smallest parish in East Lothain.Interior of Dalrymple Aisle not seen (1988),The dick Peddie and Mackay plans probably refer to the interior re-furbishment and blocking of entrance to Dalrymple Loft from the interior of the church.