This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9116 / 55°54'41"N
Longitude: -2.8871 / 2°53'13"W
OS Eastings: 344645
OS Northings: 669082
OS Grid: NT446690
Mapcode National: GBR 8082.RP
Mapcode Global: WH7V2.MNDX
Entry Name: Easter Pencaitland,st Michaels Lodge with Retaining Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 31 March 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353104
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18913
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir
Traditional County: East Lothian
1831. 2-storey, 3-bay Jacobean-style house, single storey service wing at rear. Squared, stugged and coursed yellow freestone with plain ashlar dressings; base course; chamfered reveals and hoodmoulds to openings. Stone mullions. S elevation: centre bay gabled and advanced; doorway with fanlight and 1st floor window; blank shield above. Bipartites in flanking bays, smaller and directly under eaves at 1st floor. N elevation: gabled single storey service wing projecting to left. E and W elevations: each with window to each floor at
centre; ground floor window on E elevation blind and small doorway inserted to right. Lying-pane glazing pattern to sash and case
windows. Gablet coped skews with consoled skewputts. Corbelled polygonal stacks to gable wallhead with coping, paired to E and W elevations, and with paterae detal to frieze of single S
elevation, central stack. Purple slates. Retaining walls and
piers: rubble freestone walls with semi-circular coping, square piers with pyramidal caps.
Allegedly built by John McEwan, mason to Winton House, in 1831; McEwan was the benefactor of the stone pupil figure perched above the porch of the schoolroom in Wester Pencaitland (now called old schoolhouse, listed separately). Almost identical to St Michael's Lodge, is 2 Bridge Street, East Linton (former police station,listed separately), the lodge is single pile and is without the string course of its counterpart, which may be feasibly also be by McEwen.
Other nearby listed buildings