This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9026 / 55°54'9"N
Longitude: -2.9158 / 2°54'56"W
OS Eastings: 342837
OS Northings: 668097
OS Grid: NT428680
Mapcode National: GBR 8025.JY
Mapcode Global: WH7V2.5WSW
Entry Name: Woodhall House with Terrace Wall and Railings
Listing Date: 13 May 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353170
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18953
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir
Traditional County: East Lothian
Circa 1560 tower house restored and altered in 1884, when given a sizeable Baronial addition; further extension at rear, Michael Calthrop, 1973-4. Rubble sandstone with harl-pointing; ashlar dressings, variously dressed. Roll-moulding to some openings. Crowsteps, beak skewputts. Tower house: originally 3-storey, truncated to 2 in restoration of 1884, and given gabled roof with wallhead stack to W, adjoined by new 1884 extension. Original doorway probably to left of S elevation, currently blocked as window with further window flanking to right. Corbelled bartizan at NE corner at 2nd floor, with fishscale slates to cornice roof and finial; one window. Windows to centre of E elevation; panel above dated 1884, declaring "Restored by Trevelyan". Thistle finial at apex. Gabled single storey projection at N, to left, and further, enlarged window at 1st floor. Interior vaulted at ground. Walls 4' thick. 1884 mansion; 2-storey. 3 bays to S with door at centre with modern window above; gabled, projecting outer bay to left with bipartite windows; single windows to right of centre with 1st floor window breaking eaves in gabled dormerhead. Large stairblock and porch projecting a rear in altered form. Modern openings to W elevation. Harled regrettable modern extension to NW, incorporating fragments of earlier extension in 1910. Variety of glazing patterns, plate glass sash and case in majority. Grey-green slates in 1884 work, purple to modern addition. Coped stacks Terrace wall: rubble semi-circular wall by terrace to S, with roll-moulded coping. Railings: decorative wrought-and cast-iron gates and railings by entrance to E.
Listed C(S) although plain and much altered, for remains of 16th century fabric absorbed in later work, and for historical importance in Pencaitland parish (see Inventory).
Other nearby listed buildings