This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8983 / 55°53'53"N
Longitude: -2.9427 / 2°56'33"W
OS Eastings: 341148
OS Northings: 667638
OS Grid: NT411676
Mapcode National: GBR 70W7.QH
Mapcode Global: WH7V7.R0XN
Plus Code: 9C7VV3X4+8W
Entry Name: Ne Range, Stables, Ormiston Hall
Listing Name: Ormiston, the Old Hall, Adjoining Buildings, Former Stable Range and Walled Garden
Listing Date: 5 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353321
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19066
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir
Traditional County: East Lothian
THE OLD HALL: early 17th century. Near symmetrical, L-plan 2-storey range, probably incorporating earlier fragments. Rubble with large stone quoins; roll-moulded, arched doorway, and altered roll-moulded window at rear. Vaulted cellars, substantially rebuilt above, probably in later 18th century. 3 vaulted chambers. Wide stone newel stair, originally continuing further up. 3 uneven bays with forestair to SW of kitchen with forestair to courtyard. Further extension of SE with large wallhead stack.
SE wing: 2 bays extended from corner with round arched former cart arch. 3 additional bays to SE with central forestair, all 1st floor windows gabletted. Single storey pantiled rear extention. All extentions rubble built, variations in execution, with large quoin stones. Slate roofs.
STABLE RANGE: converted to domestic range. Comprised of blocks of various ages, as Old Hall above. SW section circa 1805 (described on plan as new stables). 2 near symmetrical blocks each 3-bay with central door and 1 loft opening above. 7-bay range to NE, circa 1800, with 3 low segmental arches and small windows above.
12-pane glazing pattern predominating in sash and case windows. Grey-green slates; ashlar coped skews. Skylights added to stable range.
WALLED GARDEN: remains of rubble walls of large L-plan walled garden to SE, containing ancient yew tree, with branches re-rooted (similar in age to that at Whittingehame Tower); John Knox and George Wishart ae said to have preached under the arbour thus created.
Curtain wall remains of the latter Hall, lie to E, built by John Baxter, 1745-8, extended by Alexander Steven and George Tod, 1772 and further enlarged in ealry 19th century. Walled garden which accompanied the later house, is listed separately, as are Belsis Cottage (gardiner's house), the North and South Lodges and the Dovecot. The ruins of St Giles Kirk (former parish church are currently scheduled and lie to SW of original hall. The Old Hall was built by the Cockburn family, and presumably was deserted and converted to offices when the new Hall was built circa 1745, by John Cockburn. In 1748 the lands passed to the Earls of Hopetoun. It was John Cockburn who planned Ormiston as a model village from 1730.
Other nearby listed buildings