History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monimail Cemetery Walls and Gatepiers, and Fragments of Old Church and North Aisle

A Category B Listed Building in Monimail, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.3146 / 56°18'52"N

Longitude: -3.1358 / 3°8'8"W

OS Eastings: 329839

OS Northings: 714161

OS Grid: NO298141

Mapcode National: GBR 2B.63GY

Mapcode Global: WH6QW.SJZZ

Entry Name: Monimail Cemetery Walls and Gatepiers, and Fragments of Old Church and North Aisle

Listing Date: 1 March 1984

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 353427

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19133

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Monimail

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Howe of Fife and Tay Coast

Parish: Monimail

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Luthrie

Description

Fragmentary remains of pre-Reformation church, with restored N aisle and several interesting 17-19th century monuments all enclosed by cemetery walls. Old church disused since 1796, and virtually demolished; partially rebuilt E end survives to a reduced level. Rubble-built with ashlar dressings and flat stone coping; round-arched, roll-moulded tomb recess on N wall beside ogival headed aumbry. N aisle, built after 1690, repaired 1831, now used as mausoleum. polished ashlar, each stone marked with an incised cross; roll moulded architraves. Enlarged door flanked by blocked windows on W wall, blind doublew window to E wall; crest in gable. Moulded eaves cornice; skews; slate roof.

Cunnoquhie enclosure on S wall has arcaded and pedimented 18th century mausoleum. Large Gothic monument to E of N aisle signed "Anderson and Chisolm, sculptors, Perth". Cemetery walls are rubbble-built; corniced, square stugged ashlar gatepiers have war memorial plaques set in panels.

Statement of Interest

Crest in aisle inscribed G(eorge) E(arl) M(elville), dating it to after 1690 when the title was created. Cemetery walls linked to Melville Garden walls. Gillespie and Scott drawings index in NMRS includes cemetery tool shed, 1896.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.