This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9345 / 55°56'4"N
Longitude: -3.4766 / 3°28'35"W
OS Eastings: 307850
OS Northings: 672250
OS Grid: NT078722
Mapcode National: GBR 1X.Z4X4
Mapcode Global: WH5RJ.K3PD
Plus Code: 9C7RWGMF+Q9
Entry Name: St John Cantius And St Nicholas R C Church, West Main Street, Broxburn
Listing Name: St John Cantius and St Nicholas Roman Catholic Church and Shrine in Grounds West Main Street Broxburn
Listing Date: 5 November 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353533
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19222
Building Class: Cultural
County: West Lothian
Electoral Ward: Broxburn, Uphall and Winchburgh
Traditional County: West Lothian
Church 1881, spire, 1890, Thornton Shiells and Thomson, Edinburgh, architects. Early English, nave and aisles, with semi-octagonal chancel. Snecked rubble with ashlar dressings. Base course and plinth course. Aisles have gablet roofs, 3 to individual bays slightly extended. Spire in liturgical SW corner, 3 stage with buttresses, lancets at ground, first and second, lat-named louvred. Belfry stage octagonal, with engaged pillars at corners of tower terminating in plain finials. Top of spire octagonal, with lucarnes, and iron finial. Liturgical W front treated as entrance, with slightly projecting porch, vertically timbered door with ornamental iron hinges. Gablet above, with cross finial. Flanking lancets with hoodmoulds linked to string course. West window central 2-light with cinquefoil inhead, flanked by lancets, with linking hoodmoulds. Vesica window in apex of gable, which has cast-iron cross finial. Spirelet with lighter iron cross on NW buttress. Paired lancets in W front of aisle. INTERIOR Arcades cast-iron, slender, with ornate stiff-leaf capitals. Arch ribs with coffered panels between. In aisles beams supported on columns and corbelled brackets. Apse ribbed, springing from corbels, spandresl compartmented, with trefoil recesses. Original high altar replaced by modern reredos, original pulpit removed. Side altars with nihes to right and left of chancel with arched recesses, single compartment on left, tripartite on right. Plain confessionals in extended bays of aisles flanking chancel, baptistry in extended bay to left of porch. Rear gallery. SACRISTY linked to body of church, part steeply gabled with paired lancets, part shallow-pitch roof with 3 light decorated window latter probably added. Roofs slated, with lucarnes in roof of nave. SHRINE Later - late 19th century, in memory of Henry, 12th earl of Buchan, died 1857. To E of church, small roughly square building in decorated gothic. Base course and plinth course. S ELEVATION Arched doorway with red granite nook shafts, moulded head and hoodmould. Blind ogee-arched niche at gable head with nook shafts and hoodmould. Angel with sword as finial. Door wooden 2-leaf with wrought iron grilles and hinges. E AND W ELEVATIONS Gableted, with 2 light window, vesica head, hood mould, flanking stepped buttresses with gablet head.
The mission of Broxburn was re-opened in 1877. Work started on the church in 1880, and the foundation's stone was laid in June of that year. It was opened on 7 July 1881. It cost $2,500 and seated 600. The spire 110 ft high, cost $600 and the bell cast by Wilson & Co of Glasgow cost $162. The construction of the church was part-funded by the Countess Dowager of Buchan. St John Cantius is a Polish saint noted for his charity.
Other nearby listed buildings