This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0985 / 57°5'54"N
Longitude: -2.1953 / 2°11'43"W
OS Eastings: 388266
OS Northings: 800855
OS Grid: NJ882008
Mapcode National: GBR XL.1VK3
Mapcode Global: WH9QW.7VW2
Entry Name: Blairs St Mary's College New College
Listing Date: 22 December 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353537
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19225
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: North Kincardine
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
First part 1898-1902, Ellis and Wilson, U-plan range to which additions made 1906 and subsequently. Mainly 3 storeys with basement. Granite ashlar with moulded string courses and 1st floor cill band; boldly battered and rusticated rough-hewn plinth. Main N elevation with imposing crown-steepled ENTRANCE TOWER projecting off-centre: entrance porch at ground with arched and domed carved keystone and shields over main arch; elaborate panelled and glazed arched inner doorpiece; top stage with open arched belfry with domed piers supporting crown and open cupola with elaborate and distrinctive copper finial.
N ELEVATION: austere, with crowstep-gabled 3-bay shallow projection to left of tower with shouldered-headed ground floor windwos, asymmetrically arranged wallhead gablets (crowstepped) to right. 2 wings to rear form U-plan. Plain courtyard with arched ground floor windows and projecting corridor.
E ELEVATION: austere with 1906 addition in similar style to S. W range of U-plan plain with 2 additional E-W wings. NW wing (final 6 bays of N elevation) with canted W end, centre gabled with 2-storey canted window. SW wing: simpler with modern additions.
INTERIOR: coffered ceiling to dining room in E range. Small chamber over porch converted to chapel. Panelled hall with stair hall to right. Large galleried library at 1st floor, E range, with 3-quarter height wainscot, balustraded gallery, and ribbed, compartmentalised timber ceiling. Historically important collection of ecclesiastical garments, plate, and picture collection held in collections room, wainscotted, and with gothic fited cabinets and wardrobes in E range, ground floor.
Other nearby listed buildings