This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.496 / 55°29'45"N
Longitude: -4.4042 / 4°24'15"W
OS Eastings: 248217
OS Northings: 625096
OS Grid: NS482250
Mapcode National: GBR 3L.VV6M
Mapcode Global: WH3QY.94Z0
Plus Code: 9C7QFHWW+C8
Entry Name: Old Barskimming
Listing Name: Old Barskimming
Listing Date: 19 March 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353587
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19262
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Doon Valley
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Tagged with: Country house
James Maitland Wardrop and Charles Reid, 1882, incorporating parts of later 18th century house with additions of circa 1815 by David Hamilton; some fenestration and internal alterations 1920. 3-storey, rectangular-plan, 5-bay classically-detailed country house with single storey service court to rear. Painted stugged and snecked red rubble, ashlar dressings, ashlar rendered and lined as ashlar at service court arch to rear and pavilion to W elevation, slate roof. Base course, string course to 1st floor, wallhead course, corbelled and corniced parapet, balustraded with angle dies to front and side elevations, margined angles. Ashlar margined windows to ground floor and rear, architraved elsewhere with corniced lintels to 1st floor, 2-, 4- and 12-pane sash and case frames, multi-pane top-hopper leaded lights to ground floor front. Cast-iron rainwater goods; corniced stacks.
N (FRONT) ELEVATION: slightly asymmetrical. Centre bay slightly advanced, pilastered door and sidelights to ground floor, Greek Doric tetrastyle portico, pilastered and corniced window to 1st floor and at 2nd floor with large block apron, pediment with keystoned oculus; 2 windows to ground, 1st and 2nd floor left and right, 2 pedimented dormers. W ELEVATION: 4-bay main house to left; bay to left slightly advanced, out-of-character multi-pane facetted window to ground and 1st floor, window to 2nd floor, pedimented shaped gable with window rising above parapet; 3 bays to right with windows to ground, 1st and 2nd floors, 2 pedimented dormers. Pavilion and service court to right; 2 windows to pavilion advanced at left, pediment to left return with blocked round-headed arch, 3 windows to recessed block at right.
E ELEVATION: 4-bay main house to right; bay to right slightly advanced, multi-pane window to ground floor, window to 1st and 2nd floor, pedimented shaped gable with window rising above parapet; door, bipartite window and multi-pane facetted window to ground floor left, 3 windows to 1st and 2nd floors, 2 pedimented dormers. Service court to left; 5 12-pane windows.
S ELEVATION: main house; pedimented single storey service block at ground floor with doors and various windows, stair and other windows grouped to centre of main elevation, pediment with window rising from parapet flanked by 2 tall stacks. Service court: round-arched pedimented carriage entrance to centre with bellcote at inner gable, bay to left and right with blocked window, bowed angle bays to far left and right, further crenellated bowed enclosure advanced to far right, various doors, windows and blocked arches at inner elevation.
INTERIOR: central well stair, columned landing, compartmentalised cove ceiling with astragalled top light; ground floor remodelled 1920 including staircase and most chimneypieces throughout house.
The later eighteenth century house (the weathervane on the stable court is dated 1774) in which the present stucture originates was built for Sir Thomas Millar, Lord President of the Court of Session, on or near the site of an earlier house. The additions designed by David Hamilton in circa 1815 included wings to the east and west (shown on the 1857 OS map and Wardrop and Reid drawings), and internal alterations. A fire in 1879 caused the house to be largely rebuilt. The date 1642 appears on the pediment at the south (rear) elevation, a date presumably referring to an event during the Stewart farmily ownership (see Paterson). Barskimming Stables, Walled Garden and Burnfoot Lodge and Bridge are listed in Mauchline Parish.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings