This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 58.1988 / 58°11'55"N
Longitude: -7.0185 / 7°1'6"W
OS Eastings: 105265
OS Northings: 934312
OS Grid: NB052343
Mapcode National: GBR 9721.S1T
Mapcode Global: WGW0L.5643
Plus Code: 9CCJ5XXJ+GJ
Entry Name: Uig Parish Church, Lewis
Listing Name: Uig, Uig Parish Church at Baile Na Cille Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 25 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353598
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19272
Building Class: Cultural
County: Na h-Eileanan Siar
Electoral Ward: Sgir'Uige agus Ceann a Tuath nan Loch
Traditional County: Ross-shire
Built 1829 on a new site, as parish church. T-plan, harled, painted ingoes, variety of glazing patterns on multi-paned tall and flat-lintelled windows to jamb, round-arched glazing to long south wall (centre gabled vestry perhaps an addition), domestic-scale sash and case windows on gables, with 4-pane glazing pattern. Bell hangs in east gable-head, below a gable canopy (like those seen at some Lewis schools, eg Marvig), doubtless a concession to the climate. Skews, run horizontally over skewputts; slated roofs.
Interior is well-preserved; pulpit with precentor's box, canopy supported on pair moulded slender timber shafts, box pew either side; walls and ceiling all have timber V-lining; gallery in each of the 3 arms, with splayed links at the angles and supported on columns of cast-iron or of timber.
Enclosed by rubble wall, plain iron gate.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.