This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.0182 / 55°1'5"N
Longitude: -4.3668 / 4°22'0"W
OS Eastings: 248776
OS Northings: 571854
OS Grid: NX487718
Mapcode National: GBR 4M.TWCG
Mapcode Global: WH3T8.W4RB
Plus Code: 9C7Q2J9M+77
Entry Name: Murray's Monument
Listing Name: Murray's Monument
Listing Date: 4 November 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353643
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19314
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire
1835. Obelisk monument. Rusticated granite. Truncated apex. Corniced pedestal. Chamfered base. Polished granite panel to S face of pedestal, inscribed 'Alexander Murray, DD, Minister of Urr - 1806 to 1813, Professor of Oriental Languages in the University of Edinburgh - 1812-1813. Born at Dunkitterick, 22 October, 1775, Died at Edinburgh, 15 April 1813. Reared a Shepherd Boy on these Hillsides. Erected by his Countrymen in 1835, mainly through the exertions and skill of James Stewart, Esq of Cairnsmore, on whose property it stands.'
The monument was erected in 1835 to commemorate Alexander Murray (1775 - 1813). The panel was inserted and the inscription added in 1877. A committee was appointed in Edinburgh in 1833 to erect the monument, and the design was submitted by John Parker, an Edinburgh lawyer. The monument was constructed by William Hume, James Thomson and Robert Hume, with James Stewart of Cairnsmore superintending the building work. The monument is circa 80 ft high. The monument is situated near Murray's birthplace, Dunkitterick Cottage (NX 5022 7173), which is now ruinous; the cottage is commemorated by an inscribed boulder erected in 1975 by the Galloway Association of Glasgow.
Owned by Forestry Commission Scotland.