This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8811 / 54°52'52"N
Longitude: -4.802 / 4°48'7"W
OS Eastings: 220349
OS Northings: 557639
OS Grid: NX203576
Mapcode National: GBR GHJT.168
Mapcode Global: WH2SJ.6KLX
Plus Code: 9C6QV5JX+F6
Entry Name: Ladyburn Manse, Main Street, Glenluce
Listing Name: Glenluce, Ladyburn Manse
Listing Date: 3 August 1983
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353652
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19323
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Old Luce
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Parish: Old Luce
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
James Torrance, 1897. 2-storey, 3-bay manse. Rubble, squared and snecked to W elevation. Red sandstone ashlar dressings. Ashlar margins; chamfered arrisses, stopped before cill, to W and N elevations. Bull-faced quoins with margin draft.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: roll-moulded segmental-arched doorway at centre, with heavily bracketted corniced canopy; panelled door and segmental-arched fanlight. Canted windows, with cornice and blocking course, in outer bays at ground floor. Window at centre and bipartite windows in outer bays at 1st floor, all with segmental-arched lights.
N (MAIN STREET) ELEVATION: window to outer right at ground floor.
2 windows at centre at 1st floor. S ELEVATION: window to outer left at ground and 1st floors.
E ELEVATION: single storey stone lean-to adjoined at centre; boarded door to right of N return, 2 windows to E and window to left of S return; ashlar quoin strips.
Lean-to cut out around base of round-arched stair window at centre at 1st floor. Regularly disposed fenestration in outer bays, except smaller window out-of-line to left in right bay at 1st floor.
Modern glazing; original margin-pane glazing to stair window. Coped skews; gabletted skewputts to W. Ashlar-dressed gablehead stacks to N and S. Small purple slates. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Octagonal cans.
Rendered flat-pyramidal-capped gatepiers; double-leaf wrought-iron gates, with small crested shield to each.
The architect was James Torrance of Stranraer. The house was built as the Free Church Manse. It was later known as Wilson Memorial Manse; the Free Church was known as the Wilson Memorial United Free Church after 1900, in memory of Rev George Wilson, minister of the Free Church from 1848 to 1898. The house is now called Ladyburn Manse. Ladyburn Manse is the manse of the parish, and has been since the original manse, Abbey House (see separate listing) was sold in 1963.
Other nearby listed buildings