This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0976 / 56°5'51"N
Longitude: -4.841 / 4°50'27"W
OS Eastings: 223380
OS Northings: 693056
OS Grid: NS233930
Mapcode National: GBR 08.MY5H
Mapcode Global: WH2LH.LZZX
Plus Code: 9C8Q35X5+2J
Entry Name: Portincaple, Feuins Road, Dalriada with Garden House and Garden Wall
Listing Date: 1 May 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353838
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19491
Building Class: Cultural
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Lomond North
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
Watson and Salmond, 1909. Single storey, 3-bay bungalow-style house on ground falling to SE. L-plan with semicircular veranda, SE wing, porch projection to NE and former conservatory advanced at S. White- painted harl with some applied timber detailing. Flush timber-mullioned windows with cills and cornices.
NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3 broad bays; timber veranda at centre on semicircular plinth with 2 stone steps to entrance; supported on timber pillars; consoles under projecting eaves. Half-glazed door to recessed centre; flanking bipartite casement windows. Wide, shallow segmental leaded dormer at centre, stained glass lighting stair hall; lead half-drum roof. Large, 5-light mullioned window grouped towards centre in outer right and left bays.
NE ELEVATION: 3 bays. Projecting porch at centre, half-piend roof; applied timber cill course and detailing. Doors on right and left returns; panelled, 4-centred arch door set into basket arch opening. Small, tripartite window (4-pane per window) below eaves on NE elevation. 4-light window in right and left bay at upper level.
SE (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-storey advanced block, 2 round-headed boarded doors at centre at basement level. Tripartite window at centre directly under eaves; flanking vents. Single storey at right return, door in corner, bipartite window at outer left, small window to right. Block of main house to right, 3 bays with 4th canted bay to outer left, 2 tripartites at centre, small window to outer right.
SW (GARDEN) ELEVATION: 5 asymmetrical bays. Canted, flat-roofed boiler house advanced in front of penultimate bay to left with gable breaking eaves; lean-to conservatory reached by forestair to right; now with perspex roof, raggle of former gable of conservatory above on gable. Small 4-paned window to outer left; tripartite window to right. 2-bay wing block slightly recessed to right; canted full-height bay to outer right, single window at ground; canted window at 1st floor, directly under eaves. Boarded door and flanking window to left; tripartite
window at 1st floor.
Timber-mullioned tripartite and 5-light casement windows; 6-pane lights. Piended, red pantiled roof with semicircular terracotta ridge tiles; lead flashings. Grey harled, tall ridge stack jettied and with red tile coping, terracotta cans; apex stack on gable to SW elevation.
INTERIOR: entrance into large vestibule with vaulted ceiling;
stained glass, tripartite segmental window lighting hall; centre
window vignette with ship and setting sun and entwining roses to
right and left. Former studio to N.
GARDEN HOUSE: single storey, square-plan, piend-roofed garden house with pigeon loft in SE corner of garden. Harled, pantiled roof with semicircular ridge tiles and terracotta finial. Boarded door on N elevation, small window on E elevation. Timber flight-holes breaking roof line, but also with pantiles on N and W ridge.
GARDEN WALL: low garden boundary wall to SW and W. Red industrial brick with semicircular coping; higher to W. Segmental-headed bridge carries wall over burn to NW. 3 steps lead down to garden from entrance.
The house was built for the artist James Kay (1858-1942). It is an early example of the type inspired by the bungalows of the Nabobs in India, which became popular for speculative housing in the 1920s and 30s.
Other nearby listed buildings