This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0183 / 56°1'5"N
Longitude: -4.7797 / 4°46'46"W
OS Eastings: 226835
OS Northings: 684087
OS Grid: NS268840
Mapcode National: GBR 0C.SS82
Mapcode Global: WH2LX.KZ5N
Plus Code: 9C8Q269C+84
Entry Name: 4 Cumberland Terrace, School Road, Rhu
Listing Name: Rhu Village, Cumberland Ave, 1-10 (Inclusive Nos) Cumberland Terrace, with Perimeter Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 12 February 1990
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353855
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19500
Building Class: Cultural
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Lomond North
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
Circa 1870. Long rectangular-plan symmetrical terrace of 10 houses; 2-storey, 14 bays with 2 end pavilion bays advanced. White harled with painted ashlar cill band courses; half-piend dormerheads; gabled timber anopy porches; timber mullions and jambs.
S (MAIN) ELEVATION: advanced, mirror-image piend roofed outer bays, bipartite window at ground right and left respectively with door to right at W and left at E. 4-panelled wooden door with 3-pane letterbox fanlight; simple bargeboards to gabled canopy over door supported on chamfered wooden posts. Bipartite dormerheaded windows at centre at 1st floor, piended dormerhead supported on slender wooden brackets. 12-bay long range of 8 houses arranged in blocks of 3 bays. Paired
doors at centre bay with M-gabled canopy-porches; 4-panelled wooden doors with 3-pane latterbox fanlight (nos 4,5,6,8,9 have modern doors). Swept-roofed dormerhead at centre above doors; windows symmetrically disposed in flanking bays; piended dormerheaded windows at 1st floor.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: some alterations, new windows.
Swept-roofed dormers. Lean-to garden sheds built against rubble wall bounding School Road.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: projecting chimney breasts flanking bipartite window at centre 1st floor; lean-to shelter at ground.
8-pane sash and case windows; 6-pane for swept roof dormerheads, some modern windows at rear. Steep slate roof, cast-iron finials. Coped rendered ridge stacks with tall paired wallhead stacks on side elevations.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: rubble boundary wall with harl pointing and semi-circular coping. Wall bounding School Road higher to accommodate lean-to sheds. Entrance on Cumberland Avenue, rounded gatepiers with harl pointing, red sandstone cornice, domed rubble and harled cap.
Cumberland Terrace was built to accommodate officers serving on board the Clyde training ship 'HMS Cumberland' which had been purchased after the passing of the Industrial Schools Act in 1866, and anchored off Rhu. She was a ship-of-line battleship, a three-decker with 70 guns, and could hold 400 boys in training for recruitment in the Royal Navy. In 1889 the Cumberland perished by fire. She was succeeded by
the 'HMS Empress' one of the last wooden men-of-war, which remained in the bay until 1923.
Other nearby listed buildings