This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0168 / 56°1'0"N
Longitude: -4.7793 / 4°46'45"W
OS Eastings: 226853
OS Northings: 683911
OS Grid: NS268839
Mapcode National: GBR 0C.SSC6
Mapcode Global: WH2M3.K1C9
Plus Code: 9C8Q268C+P7
Entry Name: The Corner Shop, Gareloch Road, Rhu
Listing Name: Rhu Village, Gareloch Road, Row House
Listing Date: 18 March 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353871
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19506
Building Class: Cultural
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Lomond North
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
Early 19th century. 2-storey plus attic, 6-bay, near- symmetrical, rectangular-plan main house with lower, recessed single bay block to outer right at corner. Pale- pink painted stucco with grey-painted ashlar margins. Eaves cornice.
W ELEVATION: broad gable to outer left of 3 closely grouped bays; deep-set door at centre ground, modern with plate glass letterbox fanlight; flanking replacement tilt and turn top sash windows. Windows at 1st floor symmetrically disposed. Window at centre in gablehead; apex stack. 3-bay symmetrical block to right; architraved door at centre, boarded with plate glass letterbox fanlight; flanking windows, that to left replacement tilt and turn top sash window. Windows symmetrically disposed at 1st floor; swept-roofed, slate- hung dormers, timber mullions; skylight at centre. Small window in gablehead to right on right return.
LOWER BLOCK: recessed to right, single storey and attic; large window at ground; 1st floor window breaking eaves in gabled dormerhead with Gothic glazing. 2-bay broad gabled right return (S); window to outer left, shop with panelled door and plate glass shop window to right united under good painted fascia; 2 small attic windows (6-pane sash and case) symmetrically disposed at attic; broad, sandstone apex stack.
12-pane sash and case windows; tripartite dormerheads; 9-pane at centre with 6-pane sidelights. Green slate roof with ashlar ridge; ashlar coping to skews. Corniced apex stack to W elevation; broad, corniced sandstone apex stack on gable of lower block to E.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
Row house is shown on the 1st edition map. The lower block attached to E is identified as the post office on the 1858 map. The adjoining Rhu Inn is listed separately. The 2 buildings constitute the historic nucleus of the shore village of Rhu (formerly known as Row, the name was changed to Rhu in 1927).
Other nearby listed buildings