History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mochrum, the Old School

A Category C Listed Building in Mochrum, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7854 / 54°47'7"N

Longitude: -4.5743 / 4°34'27"W

OS Eastings: 234556

OS Northings: 546432

OS Grid: NX345464

Mapcode National: GBR HJ21.WZQ

Mapcode Global: WH3V4.PZY9

Entry Name: Mochrum, the Old School

Listing Date: 11 November 1994

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 353947

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19560

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Mochrum

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West

Parish: Mochrum

Traditional County: Wigtownshire

Find accommodation in
Port William

Description

Post 1872. Former school. Single storey, asymmetrical and gabled. Washed rubble; red sandstone ashlar dressings, margins, hoodmoulds, quoin strips. All openings hoodmoulded. Chamfered margin to door.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gable to right; tall doorway to left, with boarded door and deep 4-pane fanlight; window to right; several granite steps up to door. Gable recessed to left; bipartite window at centre.

S (ROAD) ELEVATION: gable slightly advanced to right; bipartite window at centre; glazed oculus in gablehead. Bipartite window to left.

E ELEVATION: gable advanced to right, forming L-plan; bipartite window at centre of gable. 2 windows to left, to far left higher. Bipartite window to S return.

N ELEVATION: bipartite windows at centre and to right. Modern flat-roofed extension adjoined to left. Multi-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; 24-pane glazing in single light windows,

mainly 18-pane lights in bipartite windows. Red sandstone coped skews; moulded skewends; roll-detail at apices of gableheads. Stacks, with red sandstone quoin strips and copes; gablehead to S, ridge to N-S roof. Slightly graded grey slates. Red sandstone ridging. Axial ventilators. Moulded eaves guttering. Rubble coped rubble walls to S.

Statement of Interest

No longer in use as a school. A "Parish School" is marked on this site on the OS Map of 1848, but the evidence of the fabric suggests that the present building is a replacement on the same site.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.