This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.7609 / 54°45'39"N
Longitude: -4.5853 / 4°35'7"W
OS Eastings: 233750
OS Northings: 543730
OS Grid: NX337437
Mapcode National: GBR HJ13.Y4Y
Mapcode Global: WH3VB.JLQK
Plus Code: 9C6QQC67+9V
Entry Name: Harbour, Port William
Listing Name: Port William, Port William Harbour, Pier, Gateway and Gateway Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 20 July 1972
Last Amended: 17 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353984
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19589
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Circa 1800; extended 1847. Harbour, consisting of inlet with small, sharply pointed apex. Substantial pier to S side of harbour.
QUAY: long and curved, on SE-NW axis; angled apex to SE. Coursed rubble masonry quay walls; cemented towards NW. Smaller rounded rubble masonry to angled apex to SE. Painted stone bollards.
GATEWAY: tall square gatepiers to S. Dressed granite, with pinning; red sandstone ashlar capping.
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble coped rubble walls to E and S. Various buildings, of post 1848 date. Painted rubble; mainly with corrugated roofing. Single storey piended store adjoined to boundary wall to SW; single storey gabled office, possibly early 19th century, further adjoined to N. Gabled store, with purple slate roof. Large 2-storey store to W, with double piended roof.
According to Graham, a plan of 1845 by C G Robinson marks a "proposed
extension of the pier", and the Parliamentary Report of 1847 still refers to 'proposals' to extend the jetty. The OS Map of 1848 shows that "an extension had been built which is generally comparable with the one shown by Robinson". Landscapping of the harbour area subsequent to the drafting of the above description has required the category to be lowered to C(S): a revised description incorporating the changes will be drafted. The historic interest of the structures retains them above the margin for listing.
Other nearby listed buildings