This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.5585 / 57°33'30"N
Longitude: -2.6851 / 2°41'6"W
OS Eastings: 359102
OS Northings: 852250
OS Grid: NJ591522
Mapcode National: GBR M8QR.BMW
Mapcode Global: WH7L7.Q8KX
Entry Name: Crombie Castle
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353999
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19602
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banff and District
Traditional County: Banffshire
Circa 1542, towerhouse with additions, restoration begun late 1930s, currently incomplete. 3-storey, rectangular-plan with corbelled angle bartizans to S, crowstepped gables and rubble stacks. Harled, with chamfered granite ashlar margins. Later, lower gabled additions of circa 1570, 1820, 1860 and 1910.
TOWERHOUSE: E ELEVATION: 1570 addition forming L-plan. Round arched pend circa 1910, to entrance in 1570 wing (see below).
N ELEVATION: gable end of 1542 tower without additions, window to each floor, wide mouthed gunloop below 1st floor window.
W ELEVATION: 2 windows and gunloop at 1st floor, 3 piended dormerheads breaking eaves at 2nd floor.
S ELEVATION: 1542 tower with additions at ground and 1st floor, window to gablehead flanked by truncated corner bartizans.
CIRCA 1570: 3-storey wing to E at right angles to earlier tower, with later pend to doorway in re-entrant angle. single windows to 2nd and 3rd floors. Corbel course at 2nd floor, probably carried a bartizan. Link wall of 1910 (see below).
CIRCA 1820: wing projecting from S gable, single storey and attic addition; window at each floor to each elevation.
CIRCA 1860: single storey, gabled wing at right angles to W, later raised to single storey and attic; door in re-entrant angle to S, wooden gabled dormer to attic. Lean-to porch addition to N with door to tower.
CIRCA 1910: 2-storey wing of 2 bays extending to E, parallel with circa 1570 wing. Window at ground to E gable. Round headed doorway to S with window at each floor to right, breaking eaves at 1st floor in crowstepped gabled dormerhead with finial.
INTERIOR: 2 vaulted chambers at ground floor of 1542 tower; kitchen to N with access to 1st floor, dungeon beneath service stair. Great hall to 1st floor with large fireplace to centre of N wall; concrete lintel of 1930-50 restoration as are modern fireplace to S wall, plaster armorial above, timber open beamed ceiling on corbels. Projecting masonry chamber to NW corner;
"Laird's Lug", with diamond opening below ceiling, entered from 2nd floor through trapdoor. 2nd floor; undivided attic space, windows to NW and S, fireplace to S partially rebuilt, blocked doors to bartizans. Circa 1570 wing: vaulted basement, straight stair to 1st floor, newel stair to 2nd floor formerly with access to (demolished) bartizan above entrance. No plaster work or fixtures; currently uninhabited.
The towerhouse was probably built on the site of an earlier house by James Innes, 2nd of Crommey, soon after he acquired the estate in 1542. The later E wing was probably added by Alexander Innes between 1570 and 1580. Thomas Innes refers to restoration work about to begin, in his lecture to the BFC (see References) in 1934. Kinnairdy Castle, also Marnoch Parish and listed separately, is also now in the
possession of the Innes Family.
Other nearby listed buildings