This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.5725 / 55°34'21"N
Longitude: -3.6546 / 3°39'16"W
OS Eastings: 295767
OS Northings: 632225
OS Grid: NS957322
Mapcode National: GBR 24X0.L7
Mapcode Global: WH5T5.T6WC
Plus Code: 9C7RH8FW+24
Entry Name: Wiston Lodge, Millrigg Road, Wiston
Listing Name: Wiston Lodge, Inlcuding Clachan Cottage, Kennels Cottage and Shieling Cottage
Listing Date: 13 April 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354028
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19621
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Wiston and Roberton
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Clydesdale East
Parish: Wiston And Roberton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Earlier 19th century; later additions, including early 20th century
concert/recreation hall. 2-storey, asymmetrical-plan, Baronially-
embellished Picturesque hunting lodge/country house. Bull-faced
reddish sandstone coursers to principal elevations, coursed and
random rubble elsewhere, bull-faced and ashlar cream sandstone
dressings, cream ashlar to upper stage of tower, grey slate roof. Base
course, long-and-short work type quoins and window margins; single,
bi- and tripartite windows with 2-pane timber sash and case glazing,
some with dormer-headed gables; plain modern bargeboards, cast-iron
rainwater goods, shouldered ridge and end stacks.
FRONT (E) ELEVATION: 5-bay. Single storey entrance porch to left,
2-leaf door with stilted segmental-arch doorcase comprising nailhead
moulding and rope hoodmould knotted at label stops, polished red
granite nook shafts, corbelled and stepped parapet, ball-finialled and
segmental over door, arrow-slit motif to left, tripartite window with
moulded jambs and hoodmould to left return; 4-stage tower slightly
advanced to right, tripartite window with segmental heads to 1st stage,
bipartite to 2nd, quatrefoil oculi to 3rd, round-headed single and blind windows with corbel table and crenellated parapet to 4th, crenellated cap-house to right; 2 bays slightly recessed to far right each with segmental-headed bipartite window to ground floor and gabled
dormerhead above; slightly advanced gable to outer right with 2-storey, 5-light canted window.
S ELEVATION: 2 narrow bays recessed to centre with single windows to ground and 1st floor, gables slightly advanced to left and
right with tripartite windows to ground and 1st floor (bipartite to 1st
floor right); entrance porch to far right; 2 windows to ground and 1st
floor of left return gable, ground floor left now door and masked by
linking bay to concert/recreation hall, window to right and 1st floor left blocked.
W ELEVATION: single storey concert/recreation hall advanced to far right, harled with slate roof, margined windows with 6-pane top-
hoppers over 2 fixed pane timber frames, half-timbered gable detailing
and plain bargeboards, verandah to S gable removed; single and 2-storey
gables with various doors and windows to offices at main elevation.
INTERIOR: little altered. Fine encaustic tile floor in entrance porch,
original joinery including boarded and panelled rooms, doors and
staircases; decorative plasterwork; original chimneypieces; fine top-
light over landing with stained glass.
CLACHAN COTTAGE: earlier 20th century. Single storey, 3-bay cottage. Corrugated metal, modern tile roof. 4-pane timber sash and case windows.
KENNELS COTTAGE: mid 19th century. Single storey and attic 3-bay cottage. Snecked and random rubble with bull-faced cream ashlar dressings in long-and-short work style similar to Wiston Lodge, grey
slate roof. Modern replacement windows to ground floor, 2- and 4-
pane timber sash and case to piended dormers, plain bargeboards,
bracketted eaves, modern timber gabled porch masking front door,
corniced stacks. Rubble-built kennels to rear with piended slate roof.
SHIELING COTTAGE: early 20th century. Single storey, 3-bay cottage. Harled, modern tile roof. Timber top-hinged and casement windows, plain bargeboards, brick stacks; gabled porch to front.
Wiston Lodge was built by James Ferguson, and extended by his niece
and husband, Mr and Mrs Johnston-Ferguson in the late 19th century.
The concert hall was added by the subsequent owner (from 1913), a
Mr McGregor, who also endowed the Robertson and Wiston churches,
and built the village halls. The house was purchased by the YMCA in 1945 for a holiday and conference centre. The little-altered interior of Wiston Lodge is an important feature of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings