This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6067 / 55°36'24"N
Longitude: -2.7162 / 2°42'58"W
OS Eastings: 354973
OS Northings: 635017
OS Grid: NT549350
Mapcode National: GBR 93GL.QZ
Mapcode Global: WH7WQ.7BSP
Plus Code: 9C7VJ74M+MG
Entry Name: Friars Hall
Listing Name: Friar's Hall
Listing Date: 16 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354124
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19718
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Leaderdale and Melrose
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
Late 18th century. 2-storey, 3-bay piend-roofed Regency house with bowed centre projection to S and later additions (see Notes). Rubble with white harl; ashlar dressings. Raised cills.
SOUTH (GARDEN) ELEVATION: shallow bow with curving timber doorway to ground flanked by sash windows; tripartite window and cast-iron verandah above; square cornice with central blocking panel. Further tripartite window to ground floor left.
Slightly advanced pedimented bay to N elevation with Tuscan columned doorway to ground. 2-storey addition to W circa 1820; lower, 2-storey mid 20th century wing to E. Detached outbuildings with curving wall to E of house.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows. Grey slate. Coped co-axial ridge stacks with octagonal clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: Stone staircase with cast-iron balusters. Oval entrance hall now reconfigured as living room; three doorways to N curving wall. Oval room to 1st floor: decorative timber and gesso chimney piece with fluted Corintian column detail.
A good late 18th century Regency house encorporating earlier fabric, distinguished by its shallow bow to S, set on sloping ground with open views to Melrose Abbey and the Eildon Hills. The S (garden) elevation was formerly the principal entrance with its large tripartite window above. The building is also notable for its oval plan form to the central rooms and remnants of its 18th century interior scheme.
The thick walls within the cellar may be part of an earlier building on the site, shown as 'Fryarshall' on Roy's Military Map of 1747. It is recorded that two lawyers, John and Thomas Tod, built a 2-storey thatched cottage on the site during the late 18th century and later extended it to the W in the 1820s at which point the pedimented entrance to the N elevation with classical doorpiece was added. The early 20th century 2-bay addition to the E is set slightly lower than the main body of the house. The building is refered to on some current mapping as Friarshaugh.
List description updated at resurvey (2010).
Other nearby listed buildings