History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Poldullie Toll House

A Category C Listed Building in Strathdon, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.1974 / 57°11'50"N

Longitude: -3.0806 / 3°4'50"W

OS Eastings: 334800

OS Northings: 812366

OS Grid: NJ348123

Mapcode National: GBR WD.0G5F

Mapcode Global: WH6LN.NC76

Entry Name: Poldullie Toll House

Listing Date: 11 September 1984

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 354197

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19783

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Strathdon

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside

Parish: Strathdon

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Bellabeg

Description

Circa 1800, extended later 20th century. Distinctive single storey, 3-bay former toll house on main Corgarff to Strathdon road, with prominent bow front and pavilion roofs. Harled.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: symmetrical entrance elevation to SE with 2 windows to projecting bowed bay at centre, further window to right and blocked opening to left. Later slightly larger rectangular-plan addition off-set at rear.

12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, some with trickle vents. Small grey slates. Harled stack.

INTERIOR: modern.

Statement of Interest

Poldullie retains its early toll house appearance, and has been extended from an original 2 room rectangle with bowed front. The turnpike road runs through the parish for eighteen miles, and terminates at Corgarff. Probably originally known as Strathdon Toll House, the Aberdeen Roads Act of 1865 formally ended turnpike charges and the house appears on the 1st Ordnance Survey map as 'Bridgeley'. The New Statistical Account comments upon the vast improvement to the country derived from 'the opening up of the strath by a turnpike road running through the centre of the parish; and the formation of good cross-roads with stone bridges over the difference streams'. The 1715 Poldullie Bridge is situated just to the north east of the toll house. The separately listed Colnabaichin Toll House is situated a few miles to the east of Poldullie at the junction with the Braemar road.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.